Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have ocular rosacea. I have had this condition before.

I have ocular rosacea. I have had this condition before. I have tried doxycline antibiotic and drops (systane and Optive) for my eyes. It has flared up again. Any suggestions for treatment and why do I keep getting this condition?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

what do u suggest for treatment of the ocular rosacea? I also had lasik surgery in 2002. Do this have anything to do with the rosacea?

Dr. Rick :

I like doxycycline 100 mg daily by mouth along with baby shampoo lid scrubs and warm compresses.

Dr. Rick :

. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

Dr. Rick :

This is a condition that waxes and wanes for no apparent reason. I'm sorry to say this, but you will, most likely, being dealing with this off and on for your entire life. May that be a long, long time :)

Dr. Rick :

If you get what I mean ;)

Dr. Rick :

I also agree with using the artificial tears.....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

the doxycycline I have taken it so much it causes a headache every time I take it-any other suggestions?

Dr. Rick :

That really is the antibiotic of choice. Not only does it work on the bacteria but this particular drug has been shown to have a positive effect on the affected glands contributing to your rosacea. Erythromycin, 250 mg/day can be used if you can't tolerate the doxycycline.

Dr. Rick :

Still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.