Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Dear dr rick..eye floaters, and does smoking pot damage the eyes

Dear dr rick was wondering what type of proceedure and costs are to remove eye floaters, and does smoking pot damage the eyes or be the cause, im not a heavy smoker just half a gram a nite to get to sleep. Would have no question quitting if it is the cause.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases. The costs of a vitrectomy depend on what the hospital charges for use of the operating room, the costs of anesthesia and supplies and the surgeons fees. I really never examine the entire bill but I would bet it is on the order of 6 to 8 thousand dollars when everything is said and done

Dr. Rick :

Smoking is not good for any part of your body including your eyes. As such I would suggest you not smoke. That being said I am not aware of any data that show pot is any worse for your eyes then tobacco cigarettes.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.