Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Well since I had someone to take me to the ER last night I went

Dr. Rick guess who? Well since I had someone to take me to the ER last night I went. You were right they didn't really do anything. The ER doc looked in my eye with the light, and said there is no blood, but other than that, I can't really tell you anything. It was a wasted trip, but the positive thing was there was no blood. I wanted to ask with a bad astigmatism doesn't it distort your vision in the peripheral in some way since the central vision is distorted wouldn't the peripheral also?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Ya.....ER docs shouldn't do eyes.....I don't do heart attacks lol!

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

Astigmatism just doesn't all of a sudden start to distort your vision so that you notice it. Also I believe you mentioned that the computer looked distorted even with your glasses on -- which would "fix" your astigmatisim problem.

Customer:

that is almost word for word what he said he does heart attacks not eyes

Dr. Rick :

Smart doc!

Customer:

I looked at the computer right before I got on with you the peripheral the words are swirling remember I told you I see swirling when I go into a dark room with that eye it's almost the same thing.

Customer:

It's nothing but the words on the screen not the computer itself

Dr. Rick :

Yes. That was what I understood you to say....I just typed it wrong....

Dr. Rick :

Well...one good thing. You did manage to get out and into the ER with the help of a friend. Since that is the case I'd call an local ophthalmologist and see if you can get in for a full exam some time next week. We are quickly coming up on the holidays and appointments are gonna get kinda scarce until after Jan 2

Customer:

Yes I know. We live in a small town so everything medical is difficult. Do you still get the same feeling it's probably nothing?

Dr. Rick :

I don't think it is an emergency at this point but I'd feel better if someone had a look at you who actually knew what the inside of an eye should look like ;)

Customer:

yes that would make sense

Customer:

I would think though I would see this other than just the computer screen.

Dr. Rick :

It is either nothing serious or it could be the first sign of a detachment. A detachment will, with 100% certainty, get worse.....and you will be able to easily notice this.

Dr. Rick :

that is true...and one of the reasons I don't think this is an emergency. That being said, as wonderful as a justanswer doc I am, I would rather that you see an ophthalmologist up close and personal......

Customer:

Yes I know that is the only way I will get peace of mind for sure. Now if I did have a tear, hole or something how do they fix that, and can you go back to doing things right away like lifting once it's fixed?

Dr. Rick :

It depends on where, how large the tear is, how much if any retina has detached.......it can be easy to fix with a laser -- and most any ophthalmologist can do this -- or it can be complicated and need the attention of a retina surgeon. I mostly do the difficult cases so I am kinda biased and tend to be a worrier when it comes to these things.

Dr. Rick :

so, to answer your question, you might be laid up for less then a day to as much as a month or more.

Customer:

Laid up in what sense not being able to do anything?

Customer:

See I take care of my elderly aunt that is why I am home bound I don't have any help. So this makes things very difficult for me. That is why i worry I won't be able to lift.

Dr. Rick :

Once again that varies, but mostly it relates to lifting/bending/having to be in a special position for a few days to a few weeks......it can run a very large gambit.

Customer:

just with a tear & hole or a detachment?

Dr. Rick :

Well. Lets say you go into see an ophthalmologist. And she says everything is fine. Then you don' have to worry. Let's say it is a mess and you need complex surgery. Well, then, you decide what to do. You could forgo the surgery, get someone to help with your aunt....lots of choices.

Customer:

Getting someone to help is worse then the detachment itself

Dr. Rick :

Some holes and even some tears can be "welded" with a laser easily in the office. No post up problems.....but like I said there are too many variables to even begin to play the "what if" game.

Customer:

My aunts nurse had a retinal emergency back in March she had 1 floater within 6 weeks she all of a sudden had a shower of floaters in front of her eye. She had a tear I think she said, and she was off work for a week.

Customer:

I know you can't know til I have it looked at.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. To give the laser "weld" time to setup.

Dr. Rick :

True.

Customer:

Mine has been since May so I thought I was lucky & out of danger

Dr. Rick :

You very well may be but I would feel better figuring out what is causing this distortion you are experiencing

Customer:

she even told me I probably had nothing to worry about since they told her most RD happen within in 6 weeks of a PVD

Dr. Rick :

That is correct but, in medicine, there are always surprises

Customer:

Lord only knows how long the distortion has been there I just happen to notice it since I am more aware of that eye problem

Dr. Rick :

And that is a very good point......and makes a lot of sense

Customer:

Well thanks Dr. Rick I will keep an eye on my eye HA HA

Customer:

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours!

Dr. Rick :

You are such a comic. Give my best to your Aunt.

Dr. Rick :

To you Too.

Customer:

I will thank you, XXXXX XXXXX!

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest