Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My eyes have been watering non-stop for 7 weeks now. It has

Customer Question

My eyes have been watering non-stop for 7 weeks now. It has become extremely annoying. i look like I'm constantly crying. To go out in the wind or sun it becomes even worse. I've tried massaging the tear ducts to no avail. I've tried Patanol and dry eye drops and allergy drops. Nothing is working. I believe possibly the tear ducts are both blocked badly? I have an appointment at an opthamlogist in Feb. but honestly I don't think I can wait that long to get this problem solved. please help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you have any of the following: burning, stinging, itchy eyelids, caking or mattering of your lashes in the morning?
Customer:

None of the above symptoms, they are not red either, they just water constantly

Doctor DanB :

Do the lower eyelids come away from the surface of the eyeball at all? This may be hard to tell, but if you examine the lower eyelids in the mirror, they should be touching the eyeball from medial to lateral all the way.

Customer:

i just checked and my lower eyelids are touching my eyeball all the way

Doctor DanB :

Okay, I thought the chances of that were slim given how young you are, but wanted to cross that off our list. Stand by for more answers...

Doctor DanB :

Have you had repeated eye infections in the past?

Customer:

yes, pink eye and this past year has been awful with various different problems....my eyes were red there for quite some time, just stoppped wearing contacts since this happened as well. thought it would help, but hasn't.

Doctor DanB :

How long have you been out of your contacts?

Customer:

6 or 7 weeks since this started i've worn them a handful of times, they dont' bother me to wear them, but it's annoying with the watering so i just dont' wear them, the contacts were causing redness in the summer, this watering happening for 5 weeks in march and just stopped suddenly on its own. they were fine from the end of april until beginning of october. i've ruled out allergies, since they are not red or itchy and the timing isnt quite right.

Doctor DanB :

Okay, so there are a couple of possibilities. The first has to do with the contact lenses which I think this is more likely the problem than the second and which also would probably require a prescription drop from your eye doctor, which I'll discuss in a minute, but can be treated at home.

Doctor DanB :

I suspect that you may have some contact-lens keratitis, or inflammation in the cornea from contact lenses. It seems logical that after 6-7 weeks out of the contacts that this should all go away, but after a while it becomes a self-sustaining process and keeps going and going unless it is treated with prescription drops. I think this is most likely and therefore would require a trip to the eye doctor. If you absolutely can't get in to see one until February, then I would suggest trying to treat the second most likely problem which is blepharitis. Aside from the tearing it doesn't sound like you have this, but because the treatment is something you can easily do at home, you should consider treating for this consistently. Let me tell you more about it....

Doctor DanB :

Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelids which can ultimately disrupt the layer of tears that coats your eyes, called the tear film. When this happens, the brain gets the signal from the eyes that they are "dry", so to speak, and the brain then causes a reflex tearing, which is insufficient to correct the problem. . In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done.

It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so use the artificial tears you bought 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them.

Doctor DanB :

Does that all make sense?

Customer:

Yes this makes sense, i have an appointment to see an opthamologist in February, but I can get into my eye doctor sooner about the keratitis. what sort of drops would he prescribe me? I've been using patanol for 5 days now and no difference (got that from my family doctor). I just don't want him to prescribe me the patanol again. any suggestions? what I should be getting from him? I will try the eyelid wash...i have nothing to lose there. thankyou.

Doctor DanB :

You're welcome.

Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however—we can continue to discuss any of your concerns regarding this topic without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for trusting me to help you with your concerns!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

I am satisified with your answer, but was wondering the name of any drops my eye doctor should prescribe me?

Doctor DanB :

Sometimes I use Tobradex or Maxitrol for this.

Customer:

thankyou for your help, dr. dan!

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology