Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

I am a 60 year old woman who has experienced eye floaters a

I am a 60 year old woman who has experienced eye floaters a few years ago. Now I have a floater in one eye for about a week, and in the last two days have experienced flashes of light in the corner of my eye. My eye doctor, Dr. XXXXX XXXXX, is unavailable until monday. Should I go to emergency at the Eye and Ear Hospital? Thank you very much.
sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.

This is a medical emergency, since this may be the first sign of a peripheral vitreous detachment / retinal detachment,

This can lead to permanent blindness in the worst case scenario, so you should report to the Urgent care ASAP.

Once an ophthalmologist has evaluated you, further treatment can be planned as per the examination findings,

Warm regards