Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had an episode today that I cant explain on the right side

I had an episode today that I can't explain on the right side of my vision I started to see a flashing light like one out of a prisom. I go a little nervous so I took a bayer asprin and in about 10 minutes it stoped do you know what happened to me.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Ok

Dr. Rick :

Hi. You most likely suffered from an ocular migraine.

Dr. Rick :

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

Customer:

I also noticed that today when I cough my left temple hurts

Dr. Rick :

That is not unusual with this condition. Everyone thinks it's a brain tumor.....but it's not :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

Why did it stop after the asprin

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Feel free to ask your question on this thread
No. This not normally associated with blood pressure issues.
You should be OK.