Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Dr Rick When I had my surgery on my lt eye for the macular

Dr Rick When I had my surgery on my lt eye for the macular hole .I became very ill because I had to lay on my stomache for 5 weeks .Ihad 3weeks of 90% & 2 weeksof 50%.I have severe asthma I had atelectis of the lower lobes of my lungs.I had to be hospitalized with iv steroids This upset my diabetes.I am concerned that if I have to have this surgery in the near future I may not be able to tolerate lying face down for such a long time .Con this surgery be done without these restrictions?I heard you can use oil but this may not be appropriate because I have diabetes.thanks for your advice Pat

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Unfortunately gas inside the eye is the best way to make sure the hole heals after surgery. Given your history, I agree that laying face down for such an extended period of time may not be an option for you.

Dr. Rick :

One option that may work for you, however, is contacting a medical equipment rental shop. Many of them have chairs, tables etc that assist you in keeping your face down in the correct position.

Dr. Rick :

Using oil for this surgery has more risks and really, in my opinion, doesn't work very well.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know how things turn out. Best of luck to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used the available equipment but it was terribly uncomfortable since I am 4ft 10 .I did not fit the chairs ,The only thing that fit was the bed,
I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you could consult with the folks that rent the chairs etc and see if they can be modified so that you could use them.

Due to the serious issues you had last time with trying to do face down positioning I do not think it would be wise to put yourself through that again. If the rental equipment can't be modified so you can use it then you will have to speak to your retina surgeon about other treatment options -- and there aren't really very many -- or forgo the eye surgery. After all, breathing is more important then seeing in the big scheme of things.....