Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my daughter had a head injury and now she one of her eyes when

Customer Question

my daughter had a head injury and now she one of her eyes when she looks up does not follow the other. She had a scan and she does not have any brain damage -- her regular doctor said that it is muscular.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me more about the injury your daughter had. Were any of the bones of her face or around her eyes broken? Was she unconscious?

Customer:

She hit her head and corner of her eye with one of my son's firends (who is shorter than her) with the top of his head. She was taken to the hospital; however, she did not have a concussion. She had all of her scans, because she was in alot of pain, seeing double and was vomiting. She was cleared from the doctor who said that there was not neurological damage and her eye sight would be normal when the swelling went down.

Customer:

She sees normal when she is looking head on; however, when she looks up only with her eyes -- her one eye is lazy and does not follow the other eye.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. So. No evidence of broken bones and the swelling has resolved, correct?

Customer:

No evidence of broken bones, the swelling has resolved.

Dr. Rick :

ok. I agree with the other doctor. Her issue is due to either damage to and or entrapment of one of the 6 eye muscles in the affected eye or damage to the nerve that runs a muscle.

Customer:

what can I do to help her get the eye fully functional?

Dr. Rick :

We could play 20 questions and, if you daughter is there with you, we might be able to figure out which muscle is affected, however I think a better use of your time would be to take her to see a pediatric ophthalmologist for a complete eye exam.

Dr. Rick :

A pediatric ophthalmologist is the best trained expert to deal with eye muscle problems......

Customer:

She is going tomorrow. I just wanted to get another opinion.

Dr. Rick :

even in adults. The only problem with going to one is that they may not let your daughter play with all the great toys in the waiting room since she is older. lol!

Customer:

thank you!

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a great plan. I wish your daughter the best.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Customer:

thank you!

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.