Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

About 3 weeks ago I had a vitrectomy and retinal re-attachment.

About 3 weeks ago I had a vitrectomy and retinal re-attachment. Recovery seemed OK initially, then last week it appeared the macular area was still swollen and had a hole which was not closing. I am due for another operation in two days - vitrectomy and macular hole repair, which involves cutting away a portion of the internal limiting membrane so that the hole can close. The surgeon says there is a 70% success rate, but I will always have a slight scar and imperfect central vision in that eye. He advised this procedure to get the best shot at reasonable vision in that eye, in case something ever happens to the other eye. I have to lie face down for 2 weeks to allow the gas bubble to maintain pressure on the central area of the retina. Do I have any other options? Regards,

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon myself I have to agree with everything your surgeon has told you. I would have put the success rate a little bit higher, but this number depends upon the morphology of your hole, how long it has been there, and lots of other factors.

Dr. Rick :

The only other option you have is to do nothing in which case your central vision will never improve and will, most likely, deteriorate as the hole enlarges to it's maximal size over time. This, of course, will not cause total blindness, only loss of your central vision.

Dr. Rick :

As I see it, these are the only options you have. I would go with the surgery if I was in your shoes.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just working on your question........

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. The fault is causing very distorted vision and I need to wear an eye patch and use my left eye only. I was amazed that this could happen without warning. I am fit and healthy and have not been ill (not even flu) for the past 20 years. I have been short-sighted (approximately -4.25) in both eyes all my life, and wear contact lenses for sport (surfing and sailing around Cape Town, in fairly cold water). I trust the surgeon - he has a good reputation and is well-qualified, but wanted to give you the feedback since your initial diagnosis of the detachment was prompt and accurate.
I am glad that you had a successful repair of your retina but I'm sorry to hear that this macular hole issue has cropped up. Hopefully you will have an excellent outcome and your central vision will improve a lot.

Remember....the post op positioning is very, very, very important! Do your best to stay face down....

After almost two decades of practicing retina I'm glad to hear that I'm still getting some diagnosis' correct lol!

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. Best of luck to you...again :o)