Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi,My eye doctor says my corneas are severly damaged.

Customer Question

Hi, My eye doctor says my corneas are severly damaged. I have been having red irritated eyes for the past 3 months and last week(Sunday night) I lost a considerable amount of vision. In the last three months, I had not been wearing my contact lenses as much as normal, 3 - 4 hours per day 3 or 4 times a week. I have complettly stopped wearing contact lenses and I have been administering refresh tears and they have stopped being red until today (I am on the computer today)but I stlll have double vision in my left eye and both eyes seem to have lost clarity. They are extremly light sesnitive and sore (like hair is stuck in behind the ball). Is there anything I can do between appointments or to prepare< I am terrified I will permanantly lose vision or that they may get worse. Please help.  xxxxxxx xxxxxx  XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me make sure that I understand. When you close your right eye, you have double vision with only your left eye open? Is this correct? Also your left eye feels like it has something in it and your left eye is light sensitive. Is this also correct?

Dr. Rick :

Was the eye doctor who examined you an ophthalmologist (MD)? Did she start you on any eye drops other then refresh? Also, I'm not really sure why they would order blood tests for an eye problem?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still here and available and looking forward to your reply so that we can continue to work on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Oops! You paid me too early :)

I am online....shall we work on your question? I am now in your debt and owe you a great answer.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Did you see my questions? Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I sent you a note via the feedback system.....I am online and looking forward to hearing from you .
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
We seem to be having problems communicating. My system shows that you have read my above posts but I am unable to see anything that you may be typing to me.....

Try typing in the box on your screen and then push the green button to reply to me. If you continue to have difficulties you can contact customer service via the link on your screen.

I'm sorry that we are having so many technical difficulties today.....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says I have to pay 3 more dollars but I cannot navigate through this system...what in the heck am I doing wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure why it is asking for $3 more, but in any event we are communicating :o)

Let's work on your question, ok?

So. What did you see my questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

??? I am sorry, I do not know how this site works, I got lost after clicking accept answer. Thank you for helping me through this.

Okay, hopefully you get this this time...Yes, When I close my right eye, I have double vision with only my left eye open

Also both eyes feel like it has something in it and your both eyes are light sensitive.

Left eye is worse.

Two doctors examined me, the first was an optometrist, he said that my eyes looked like they were looking through broken windshields. The first doctor said that he thought my cornea was swollen and that if it wasn't he would be worried it was diabetes. When the other doctor looked, he said that the line was clear and that my corneas were not swollen. (MD)

All they have given me was a list of non perscription eye drops to purchase but my eyes are still bad (this was last Tuesday). They also seemed very angry as if I had been wearing my contacts too much...does not make sense to me as I have hardly been wearing them.

I am terrified I will not have enough information to provide them in this small town (only one place to go). I am also wondering why this is happening, worried I may have picked up some bacteria or soemthing from dirty contacts or hands...

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Glad to see that we have finally made it through all the glitches in the system today....whew!!!!

Ok. Yes. That makes perfect sense. I believe what you are suffering from is contact lens induced keratitis. The good news? With time, the use of the tear drops, and staying out of your contact lenses, everything should be fine.

While you may not have been wearing your contact lenses "too much" in terms of having them in your eyes for weeks at a time, the time that they were in your eyes was "too much" for the health of your cornea.

I would expect that once your cornea has healed up and returned to normal -- which I am sure that it will do -- that your optometrist will recheck your lens fit and possibly even switch you to a different type of lens.

If there was a bacterial infection the ophthalmologist would have seen it on her examination and started you on antibiotic drops. From what you have said I don't think you have to worry that you picked up anything from dirty lenses or hands.

Does this make sense to you?

Once again please allow me to apologize for all the technical difficulties you had today :(

I will stand by in case you want to discuss this issue further.