Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract surgery done 4 weeks ago with a crystalens placed

I had cataract surgery done 4 weeks ago with a crystalens placed in my eye. Since day one I have had blurry outer vision with twitching. The left side of my eye looks like I'm looking through water and it looks like I'm looking at the edge of the lens like when you look at the edge of your eyeglasses. I see my own eyelashes. If I look at my hand off to the side there is a white outline around my hand. I can't drive at night, the headlights flash light images. I went to my eye doctor 3 times and he said he didn't know what it is?? He seemed annoyed. I went to him because he is suppose to be very good. Is it possible I just can't adjust to this lens? Should it be changed?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

My question is on the side there.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that your surgeon has examined your eye on multiple occasions and found nothing seriously wrong with your eye and the implant.

Dr. Rick :

Since everything checks out with your eye and the power/lens implanted checks out correctly then, yes, the problem may be that you are having much more difficulty adjusting to the particular way that the crystalens works. Many of the symptoms you are suffering from can be attributed to the design of the lens that works to give you clear vision at many different distances.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, what can you do?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

am I looking at the edge of the lens? will this go away?

Dr. Rick :

I do not think you are looking at the edge since your surgeon has examined you and found everything to be OK....this would mean that the lens is well centered in your normal, round, pupil and it is firmly in the capsular bag.

Dr. Rick :

I think you are just one of the unlucky few who have problems with this lens.

Customer:

why does my pupil look larger than the unoperated one?

Dr. Rick :

What can be done? Well, first of all 4 weeks, in the scheme of things, is a short period of time for someone like yourself to get used to this lens.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for the operated pupil to be slightly bigger after the surgery. This can be due to a number of causes, one of which is that the artificial lens is thinner then your natural lens. If it was a significant finding I would think that your surgeon would have discussed it with you.

Customer:

can I insist he remove it for another?

Dr. Rick :

You must be a mind reader :) That was just what I was going to discuss next....

Customer:

Are there different sizes? can it be too small?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. The lens can be removed and a monofocal lens put in it's place.

Dr. Rick :

Yes, the lenses come in different sized, but I very much doubt that the wrong size was placed in your eye. This is an extreamly rare thing for an experienced surgeon to do.

Customer:

scarring? make next surgery difficult?

Dr. Rick :

If you can stand it, I would give yourself at least another 4 to8 weeks to see if your symptoms with this lens start to resolve.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Rick :

Yes. Contraction of the capsular bag can make the lens harder to remove. Scarring is not really an issue. Also special instruments are available to assist in removing the implanted lens...all experienced cataract surgeons can do this procedure.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope thing get better for you soon.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can post to this thread or ask for me at the main screen at no additional charge.