Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been wearing waterproof or Stay on eye liner and it

I have been wearing waterproof or Stay on eye liner and it makes my eyes blur which gives me a headache. Is it the waterproof that is doing it or can you recommend a good liner and mascara that is GREAT for sensitive eyes.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

it might be the waterproof component that is causing your problems.

Dr. Rick :

Many of my patients who have problems like yours do very well after switching to MAC brand products....the only drawback, it seems, is that this brand is kinda pricey.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

One other thing you might try is cleaning your eyelids with baby shampoo to address any possible issues with blepharitis you might have.

Dr. Rick :

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Dr. Rick :

Are you there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

Yes, I thought about the waterproof myself but didn't know what other brands to try - I've tried many different kinds! If Mac is your only suggestion, I'll try it.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I hope it works for you. I, personally, don't use makup lol!! but this is the feedback I've got from patients with issues like yours :)

Dr. Rick :

And my wife, who has very sensitive eyes, uses MAC and has no problems with it.