Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am 52 and have frequent shifts in my vision. My prescription

I am 52 and have frequent shifts in my vision. My prescription may be stablwe for a few weeks then it changes. Wearing glasses that are not correctly adjusted for this causes strain. When the glasses are correct there is no eye strain. I also have photophobia, but it is not pronounced. I am not diabetic and kidney function is normal. However I do have a lack of collagen due to Ehlers- Danlos syndrome. What is going on?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you been examined by an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

yes. no high pressure, no glaucoma, nothing visible untoward

Dr. Rick :

EDS, unlike Paget's disease, usually doesn't cause much in the way of ocular problems.

Customer:

any other ideas

Dr. Rick :

It is possible that you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film problem. This could cause frequent fluctuations in your vision and give different results during a test for your eyeglass prescription.

Customer:

okay , is it treatable and how serious is it?

Dr. Rick :

Yes. It is treatable with some simple home therapy. Usually these problems are due not to any single issues, but rather a combination of things such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. Not everyone has every issue but the good news is that the same treatment works on all three conditions.

Customer:

Whats the home therapy?

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Oops....our posts crossed inside the computer lol!

Dr. Rick :

As you can see it is not an instant fix but I would expect you to start noticing some improvement after 10 to 14 days or so with marked improvement within a month. These issues don't start overnight and they don't go away overnight either....

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I also don't think your diet is affecting this so feel free to start drinking orange juice again :)

Customer:

Yes, that makes sense. And the initial therapy is simple. And I will enjoy the juice.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a plan ;)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a good day.