Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Is there a functional medicine approach for eliminating eye

Is there a functional medicine approach for eliminating eye floaters which are progressively getting worse? P.S. I am a huge fan of functional medicine which I just discovered this summer when my baby was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

No. There is not any functional medicine approach for getting rid of floaters.

Dr. Rick :

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If my floaters are getting worse and I have spots of gray or colorful shadows after looking into bright light, what do you think may be causing that? I am thinking I may have something more going on than just benign floaters.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It is not unusual to have different color spots in your vision after looking at a bright light so, as far as that is concerned, I would not be overly worried. I would, however, try to decrease the amount of time you stare at bright lights.

As far as the floaters go the numbers of them that you see can wax and wain depending upon the light, how much you are paying attention to them, what you are doing etc. If,however, you have noticed a marked and sudden increase in the amount of floaters it may be a sign of bleeding inside your eye. In this case it would be important for you to see an ophthalmologist for a full eye exam quickly.

Does this make sense to you?

It is now safe for you to press the accept button. And the good news? When you push that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke :o)
and we can continue to work on this issue at no additional charge.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest