Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

peripheral..it safe to get dilation eye drops again so soon

Customer Question

i would like to get a second opinion concerning laser peripheral iridotomy procedure. should i tell the doctor i had seen an opthalmogist a week ago and is it safe to get dilation eye drops again so soon.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Even though you had problems with bleeding with your surgery there really is only a very, very small risk of bleeding with this laser surgery.

Dr. Rick :

If you were told that you should have a laser PI due to narrow angles it would be best if you were NOT dilated again before you have it done.

Dr. Rick :

Also, I would be honest with your second opinion eye doc and let her know why you are there. It will not cloud her judgement to know ahead of time that another MD told you that your angles are narrow. She will look for herself and make up her own mind.

Dr. Rick :

The test to see if your angles are narrow is done without dilation. The test is called gonioscopy and is done when a special lens that is placed on your eye after it is numbed with a drop.

Dr. Rick :

What is the take home message? Laser peripheral iridotomy is a very safe and effective procedure and you should not worry about having it done if you have narrow angles.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.