Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

daily headaches and blurred vision..eye..his peripheral vision

Customer Question

My 38 year old son is working in Turkey at present and has reported having daily headaches and blurred vision, even when wearing glasses marking a swift deterioration since his last eye test which was in mid August 2011 when his peripheral vision was fine and his vision 20/20 with the glasses prescribed.

Lately, his vision, even with his glasses, is always blurred with some blotchiness making some areas darker than others and he now has little peripheral vision, it seems.

He finds it hard to focus on objects and the printed word making reading a strain after a short period.

Occasionally, he reports little circles drifting across his vision.

Along with the eye test, he had an IIRC on his retina which disclosed some minor debris behind the left eye.

The symptoms are exacerbated by bright light so he wears prescription sunglasses when out.

It should be mentioned that he had an eye straightening (squint) operation at age 7 which had no negative results.

As he is not currently in the UK, it would be helpful to know who he should approach to have his symptoms checked out and what, if anything, he could do to alleviate them in the meantime.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all he should be seen by an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) for a complete eye exam.

Dr. Rick :

His history of squint as a child I don't think are contributing to his present problems.

Dr. Rick :

The little circles could be caused by a posterior vitreous detachment. Here is some information on that:

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

Yes, I had an

Dr. Rick :

The vision problems, however, are not from the PVD. This could be from an anterior segment/ tear film problem. He could try the home treatment as discussed below:

Dr. Rick :

Your son may have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Sorry, I mishandled the reply before realising you hadn't finished your answer. Thank you for that full reply. We will pass on your recommendations immediately

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to assist you with your question. Please let me know if I can do anything else to help you in the future. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you with this issue.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
No problem. I hope your son feels better soon...

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On the matter of the "blurring", do you consider this to merit urgent review or can it wait until he returns to the UK later this year?

Also, do you think it likely that it may be a contributory cause of the bad headaches?

Having only recently arrrived in Turkey, he has not yet established links with a specialist and his lack of fluency in the language would make it difficult to describe his symptoms.

Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I would try the treatment I suggested above. If things have not improved in a few weeks, or should things get worse, I would suggest that he try and find an ophthalmologist in Turkey. Perhaps a friend could accompany him and translate....

Blurry vision can contribute to headaches, but there are thousands of reasons for headaches....so it is hard to tell from what information you have provided.

I would not wait months to see an eye doc if things don't improve; it is always better to address issues when it comes to the eye rather then allow them to get worse and, possibly, be harder to treat.

Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much.

BTW, I was under the impression this ancilliary was included in the initial fee. I do hope that's correct otherwise "Just Answer's " email saying "There is no additional charge for follow-up questions as long as they are posted on the original question page and are simply to clarify the original topic. You can ask as many follow up questions as you need to in order to get a complete answer." is somewhat confusing!!!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You are correct. There is no additional fee.....just be careful not to push that accept button or else I will be paid. Again. Of course, I never complain about being paid "too often" lol!

I hope your son feels better soon. It is hard when he is in a strange country.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that, Dr Rick,. I've contacted him and am trying to arrange a consultation when he returns home for Christmas. On the latter point in your reply, when DO I "accept" so you get your due deserts?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You already paid me once so it is up to you if you would like to give me a "bonus" by paying again. You might also be able to leave a smaller "bonus" from the last time you paid.....I'm not sure how that works on your screen.

It it completely up to you at this point....I'm not cheap, but I am easy lol!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am quite happy to send you another £10 but it is not clear how to do this. Guidance would be appreciated. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
All you have to do is press the accept button on your screen again. If that doesn't work it is enough for me to know that you tried ;o)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr Rick

I did and I was presented with a demand for another £48.
As you know, we are indeed fully satisfied with your professional services to us but it was our undersanding that any additional fee (£10) would be optional and I only wish this could be the case.
Peter
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about that.....the Powers That Be don't let us Worker Bees get involved in the money thing. :)

Thanks for trying......but don't worry about it. I'm working on getting my wife a second job anyway lol!

I hope your son gets better. Take care and let me know if I can do anything else to help you.