Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

An optician said she could see something behind both my eyes

An optician said she could see something behind both my eyes (on the image that a machine produces of behind the eye). I have no symptoms and my GP seemed not to understand the referral but I now have to be checked out. I have lost two sisters, one from a brain tumour, so I could do without the worry.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well, first of all brain tumors are very rare....and brain tumors that show up with signs inside the eye -- with no other physical symptoms -- are even rarer still. So. I doubt very much that you have a brain tumor.

Dr. Rick :

Secondly, opticians, and even optometrists, do not have the training to know what they are seeing when they look inside the back of the eye, especially when they use cameras to see it.

Dr. Rick :

What do I recommend? Keep that appointment with the ophthalmologist that your GP has set up for you and do not worry about this at all until then. I know that this is easier said then done but I can't tell you the number of times that I have had as a retina specialist things referred to me that were "noticed" on a picture of the back of the eye that turn out to be nothing at all.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can post to this thread or ask for me at the main screen at no additional charge.