Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I think that there is something very wrong with my eyes

Hello. I am 28 years old.

I think that there is something very wrong with my eyes.
They are dry in the morning, and also everything is blury.
it seems like my right eye is clearing a bit after that I have been awake for a while, but the left eye is blury the whole day.

I have got big problems with the focus on my left eye, so if I try to watch TV with my right eye closed, I get realy exhausted in my head.

An other very strange thing, is when I watch projected movies (on a canvas) Everytime I blink my eyes or moves them around the canvas, coulors appear in flashes. Red, green, blue and yellow. Like a rainbow..
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Was the eye specialist you consulted an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon)?

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contact lenses? Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine? Are there any other symptoms anywhere else with your body? Also, how long has this been going on and what have you tried to make it better? What did the eye specialist say about your condition and did she prescribe any type of treatment?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Sorry about all the questions I'm asking but, I'm sure you can understand, the more information I have the more accurate of an answer I can give you.

I look forward to your responses so that we can continue to work on your very interesting problem......
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not think he was a eye surgeon, no.

I do not wear contact lenses, the specialist said there was some "eye-stones" or "eye-gravel" (that was the way he described it in norwegian)

He also said that theese particles would keep "falling" untill they were no longer in my visual-field, and that my view would get better.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok. What the eye specialist is talking about is called a vitreous detachment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, But why do I see theese rainbowish coulors everytime I blink my eyes while watching projected light?

He said I should not worry, but it seems to get worse.. And I am getting problems consentrate. Focus on my left eye is shit..

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Here is some information on this condition:

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

What can you do about the floaters? Well, floaters don't go away, and they don't really get worse. Over time they tend to "sink" out of your central vision and you brain "filters" them out so you don't notice them so much anymore. They almost never cause significant visual problems except, of course, if they cause a secondary retinal detachment as discussed above. The only way to decrease or remove the floaters is with a major surgery called a vitrectomy. As a retinal specialist for almost 2 decades I've only done this procedure to remove floaters in a handful of cases.

Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
That is an excellent question and a PVD would not be expected to cause those rainbow colors. That sounds to me like an anterior segment/tear film issue. What can cause this? Well, many times it is a combination of things such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

As far as the focus problem, the things above can cause that as can a need for new glasses. I would have hoped, however, that the eye doc would have checked you for glasses. It is easy to miss blepharitis though...so I would try the above home treatment for a while -- I bet it will help you.

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.