Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I poked my eye very close to the cornea with a stick in my

I poked my eye very close to the cornea with a stick in my orchid plant. I have a lens implant. It hurts but my vision seems to be ok. The eye has a red spot about the size of 1/2 asperin and hurts. Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB :

It sounds like you have a bruise on the eye (called a subconjunctival hemorrhage) which you've sustained from the trauma of getting hit with that stick. Knowing that you've had surgery prior to this, eye trauma from vegetable matter can be a serious issue and has been known to cause infection. But this may also, however, may have just caused a scratch which could account for the pain. I would suggest using cool compresses and use artificial tears 4-5x/day in that eye for the next day or so. If the eye becomes overall, more red, different than just that one red spot, or if the vision starts to change, or it becomes much more painful, sore, light-sensitive or weepy, then these should prompt you to see your eye doctor immediately. It sounds as though for right now you just got a stinger and the cool compresses and artificial tears may help you weather the storm, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne here is to be cautious with this and get help at the first sign of worsening.

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns? Does this make sense? Do you have any other concerns that I haven't addressed?

I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. You are currently not online--If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. There will be an opportunity to provide either or both of these after you press the ACCEPT button. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.