Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Eye history Nov 2 Wed cataract surgery Nov 3 Thursday eye

Eye history
Nov 2 Wed cataract surgery

Nov 3 Thursday eye examined Dr. Nightingale, patch removed

Nov 4 Friday saw everything remarkable sharp
Nov 5 Saturday “

Nov 5 Sat night slept every which way, woke with right side of face against pillow

Nov 6 Sun woke blind in right eye. Could see light and dark, an vague shapes but nothing recognizable. Situation corrected in a few hours but I never saw things really sharp again

Nov 6 Sun night slept on right side with face on pillow

Nov 7 Mon again, blind in right eye. Situation corrected in a few hours but everything slightly unsharp

Saw Dr. Nightingale who said he thought the problem was corneal swelling and prescribed one drop of Lumigan in right eye on awakening.

Talked to sister who asked if I had been sleeping on my back. I said no. She said when she had surgery she was told this was all important.

Nov 7 night slept on back

Nov 8 Thus when woke up vision was much improved over preceding two night but vision far from perfect. Couldn’t get Lumigan bottle open so couldn’t use drop.

Nov 8 night slept on back

Nov 9 Vision much, much better than blind when woke up but not perfect. Nothing like it had been for Nov. 4 and 5 a few days after surgery. Leaves on trees not distinguishable, people not recognizable 20 feet away.

When walking down street realized I was seeing ghost images with right eye. Only noticed when had left eye shut. Sometimes ghost is to side sometimes right sometimes left, sometimes beneath and sometimes above . Is this why things are not acute and sharp? In contrast to a few days after the surgery when vision in right eye was better than in left eye with glasses, vision in right eye is a lot worse than in left with glasses.

Nov. 10 & after Used Lumigan drop. Still seeing ghosts, sometimes to side, sometime beneath or above.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe that you have done any damage to your eye by not sleeping on your back. Putting pressure on your eye with the pillow really shouldn't cause any problems with modern cataract surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your surgeon -- your problems are most likely due to corneal edema secondary to endothelial cell dysfunction. The good news? In the vast majority of cases the endothelial cells spread out and take over the pumping function of the damaged/dead cells. When this occurs, and it takes a variable amount of time for this to occur in every patient, your corneal swelling that you are noticing in the morning will resolve and you should be fine.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hanks for your answer. What confuses me is that the vision never improves during the day, and the ghost images are always there. Nothing is ever sharp. I guess this means you think the eye drops do not clear up the corneal edema == anyway, let me know.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The eye drops can help to clear up the corneal edema but the only real thing that is going to help with this is Tincture of Time.

The good news? In 99+% of cases things get better and your vision, in the long term, returns to completely normal.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest