Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have blurry vision on my right eye n some pain. I live in

I have blurry vision on my right eye n some pain. I live in Vietnam and did go see the eye doctor. After some tests, they said there are fluids accumulating between my retina and the eye lining. It's close to my blind spot so they can't do laser. They gave me prednisone eye drops and toradol eye drops, a diaretic and potassium chloride. After 3 weeks, the fluid has decreased but my symptoms are still there. What can I do? Eye surgery? Is it retina detachment? Please help me!!!
Hung nguyen

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer: Hi
Dr. James :

You may have a condition called central serous retinopathy (CSR). This condition is commonly seen in young men and thought to be induced by stress. Fortunately, this condition resolves on its own over a month or two without treatment. Sometimes lasers and injections can make the fluid resorb faster, but ultimate vision recovery is similar between treatment and no treatment.

Dr. James :

From your description, it is likely CSR but I would recommend you confirm with your eye doctor in Vietnam.

Dr. James :

CSR is generally not associated with pain. If you have inflammation of the optic nerve called optic neuritis, this can cause pain on eye movement. This generally resolves within 6 weeks, but tests should be done to make sure it is not related to infections or other autoimmune diseases.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press accept so I can get credit for assisting you today.

Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Do you have pain with eye movement?

Dr. James :

How bad is your vision in that eye?

Dr. James :

Did the doctors say a name for the condition?

Customer: Yes painful with movement, blurry I can't see a person siting next to me with that eye. The doctor said it was just fluid not retina detachment
Dr. James :

Yes, it's unlikely a retina detachment from your description.

Customer: Sorry I'm on a plane
Customer: Are the medicines correct? I'm afraid of these meds
Customer: The doctor said from stress also.
Customer: Surgery doesn't help? Are my symptoms going to get better as the fluids decreased?
Dr. James :

For CSR, usually just wait until it resolves on its own. The drops may help, but efficacy is not known.

Dr. James :

You vision should improves as the fluid goes away. I describe as similar to a blister in the back of the eye.

Dr. James :

In some cases, laser or injection of medicines into the eye helps to speed up the recovery.

Customer: Each time I take the toradol eye drops my eye burns
Dr. James :

Yes, that can happen since it has medicine in it.

Customer: The doctor said he can't do laser because it's close to the blind spot
Dr. James :

Yes, that is possible.

Customer: Does the prednisone or the diuretic help? Beside my legs are cramping from the PO meds
Dr. James :

It is thought to help, but not proven.

Customer: Thank you and I'll accept the answer. This helps so much
Customer: Thank you
Dr. James :

You're welcome.