Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

4 months,visual acuity6/6 with correction in both eyes..eye problems

Customer Question

we recently had a devellopmental check-up with our 4 and half year old daughter who got really low scores, and 2 diff public health nurses didn't know whether they had seen a turn or not since2007 but later dismissed it, but when we got these low scores in her assesment we decided to go get an opthamatic surgeon on board to check her sight, results after wearing glasses for 4 months,visual acuity6/6 with correction in both eyes,intermittent right convegent squint a cycloplegic refraction showed some+2.00 degres of hyprmetropia with +1.00 astigmatism in both also. could you please tell us is wearing glasses the only way of correcting her sight as the plan is to wear them for 6 months and review again but this is a real concern to us as she is starting school next year,and has these eye problems affected her visual development up until wearing glasses thanking you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

what do u think

Dr. Rick :

Be right with you.....I've just finishing up with a patients dictation......

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Let me read you post closely......

Dr. Rick :

That is not an unusual amount of hyperopia (plus lenses) or astigmatism for a child to have. It is good that her vision is 6/6 with the glasses on. However, if she has some squint (cross eyes) without the glasses.....and this squint is gone while wearing the glasses then it will be necessary for her to have the glasses at all times.

Customer:

is it possible to have eye surgeory to correct this sometime soon/

Dr. Rick :

In young children who have eyes that cross the brain can "turn off" one eye so that it is not experiencing double vision. This causes a loss of vision called amblyopia, that if left untreated, can lead to a lifetime of decreased vision.

Dr. Rick :

If the glasses are taking care of the problem then surgery is not needed or indicated.

Customer:

will the astigmatism go or will that need to be operated on?

Dr. Rick :

The astigmatism may become less, stay the same or become more as she gets older. But once again, no surgery is needed as this is very easily treated with glasses. When she becomes an adult, if she still needs glasses, she can elect to have LASIK surgery to treat her astigmatism and need for glasses

Customer:

if we dedide to have eye surgery to correct the turn could you please tel us what is the earliest age this can be done at?

Dr. Rick :

She is more then old enough to have eye muscle surgery. I would, however, recommend against it if glasses are taking care of the problem.

Customer:

seen as she has alot of visual developmental difficulities and the clinical psychologist says she is 9 months or more behind age appropriate and she is starting school next year with all this on the table would it be wise to have that turn corrected before then and could the astigmatism be treated at the same time or will that affect her always thanks?

Dr. Rick :

The astigmatism can not be corrected in a child as it can change over time, and, from what you have told me, the turn is corrected by the glasses. As a surgeon and father of 5 kids myself I would consul you to be happy that the simple solution of glasses are helping your daughter and not to rush into any form of surgery. Surgery has significant risks even in the best of hands....risks that are not present with glasses. I think, even with all that your daughter has on her plate, dealing with glasses is a lot easier then dealing with a surgical procedure that didn't work as hoped.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yes and thank you so much for ur advice as this is a real concern for us just to give them the best start in life

Dr. Rick :

I understand completely.....been there and done that myself :)

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I wish your daughter the very best. She is luck to have loving parents like you :)

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Have a good day.