Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had crystal lens two years ago and can not see to drive at

I had crystal lens two years ago and can not see to drive at night. Have been to several
eye doctors to see what can be done and their only solution is I have dry eyes. This
does not help my problem.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

In my experience when a patient has dry eye symptoms and yet is not getting adequate relief from the use of artificial tears and other dry eye treatments it is usually because they have other things going on at the same time. Many times these patients are found to also have, in addition to their dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. Since the other two issues are not being addressed their symptoms continue.

Dr. Rick :

What can you do to address the other possible components of your disease process?

Dr. Rick :

Well, when it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why can I not see to drive at night. Unable to see stripes in road to make sure I am in

proper place all is blurred. When on coming traffic glare blinds me.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That can be caused by the conditions that I discussed above and should be helped by the lid scrubs etc noted above.

Another other condition that can cause the severe glare and difficulty that you are experiencing is called a posterior capsule opacity (PCO). This, however, should have been easily noted during an examination by an ophthalmologist. If, however, you do have a PCO it can easily be treated with a simple laser treatment in the ophthalmologists office.

I am still online if you would like to discuss this further......
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when I got the lens I saw double out of the left eye which for distance. they did wang

to correct this and also blocked my tear ducts. after one year with the doctor and

$10,000.00 he advised he could not help me. Will glasses help me see at night.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
This does not sound like an issue that is going to be resolved with a simple set of glasses. I'm sorry to hear that your surgeon is not being of much help.

It might be useful for you to seek yet another opinion, but this time at a University Teaching Program. There you will find a group of open minded Professors from all the sub-specialties who should have the best chance of getting to the root of your difficulties.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been to two other specialist who have not helped at all.

How do I find a University Teaching program.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
If you can tell me where you live, what large cities are nearby and how far you can travel I'll be happy to give you contact information for University programs near you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I live in Ft. Worth, Texas. I am also close to Dallas, Texas
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I used to live in Stephenville, Tx just down the road.

The UT Southwestern in Dallas has an excellent ophthalmology program with all the sub specialties in ophthalmology present. You would get excellent care with there.

Here is a link to their program:

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/patientcare/medicalservices/eyes.html
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest