Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have over the last 8years had a bleeding eye, on both eyes,not

Customer Question

I have over the last 8years had a bleeding eye, on both eyes,not at the same time, lastabout 3 weeks before drying up. doctors say dont worry about it, they dont know how to treat it and dont know the cause of it, what isyour idea about the problem, I am 70 years old and dont wear glasses.thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Our chat system froze up so I had to switch to this system.....sorry about that.

Are these bleeding episodes something you can see in the mirror?

Do you have any medical problems, take any medicines or have a history of bleeding elsewhere?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Oops. You paid me too early :o)

If this is a spot that you can see on your eyeball, when you look in the mirror, it is nothing to be worried about. Sometimes when they are frequent, as in your case, some lab tests are done to look for causes of bleeding but, to tell you the truth, the the vast majority of cases, noting is found that needs treating.

Does this make sense to you?

I am still here and available if you would like to discuss this issue in more depth. Let me know....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No am a very healty person, take no medication apart from fosimax for bone support I never go to doctor, it usually starts from a little red spot on the white of the eye, I have mentioned this to doctors and they say dont worry about it, and they dont know how it happens and dont know how to treat it ??
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
They are correct :) Don't worry about it. In the few times that I have done the "full court" medial workup for subconjunctival hemorrhage, I have never found an underlying cause. That's, of course, in patients who don't have some other systemic issues.

From what you have told me you don't have anything to worry about....except, of course, coming up with a good story about how the "other guy" looks lol!

You really will be OK....