Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have experienced eye problems for about 2 years now. My

I have experienced eye problems for about 2 years now. My eyes feel very dry and painfull with redness in the inside corners and they feel like they are very hot. I have tried every eye drop on the market, but this provides about 30 minutes of relief. I have very little eye matter, but it feels like something in my eyes all the time. Is there anything I can do without seeing an eye doctor?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Your chronic dry eye problems may be due to a combination of issues in addition to not making enough tears. There is a home treatment that I have found to be very effective over the years. It is easy to do and you can give it a try before you run to an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

The most common combination of problems that cause symptoms like yours are dry eyes (you've already guessed this one, eh :o) allergies and blepharitis.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Welcome to chat. I was just working on your question.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything you would like to ask me or anything you would discuss further.

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
You can print this by highlighting the text, hit copy, then open a word processing program, hit paste then save, print etc as you normally would.