Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

vision in my left eye was blurry..wear glasses..I closed my right eye

I took a short nap Sunday afternoon, and when I woke up, the vision in my left eye was blurry. I do wear glasses, and at first I thought it was because my glasses were dirty. They were, but when I closed my right eye and looked just through my left one, it was the same. It's not like poor vision, but more like looking through smeary glasses. Seems to be slightly better in the outer periphery (side and up). I do have an astigmatism in my left eye. I have only a VERy mild discomfort in the eye - no other symptons. My BP was 90/64 yesterday at the gyne's office. What could this be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

When you close your right eye and, using your normal reading glasses, can you read with your left eye?

Customer:

Yes, but not easily

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed flashes of light or things floating around in the visual field of that eye?

Customer:

Nothing like that at all

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Does it seem to change when you blink rapidly?

Customer:

No, it does not

Dr. Rick :

Also, how old are you and do you have any medical problems or take any meds?

Customer:

I am 50 years old. I have high-ish cholesterol reduced by taking Lipitor. I also have various allergies which are controlled with Astelin nasal spray, AdVair inhaler and Zyrtec, all of which I have taken for several years.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, I don't think any of that is contributing to your symptoms.

Customer:

That's good to know.

Dr. Rick :

So. What could it be? Although you are kinda young for a cataract, it is possible that you have a small cataract that has been suddenly noticed after you closed one eye.

Dr. Rick :

You may also have a problem with your retina, specifically the part of your retina called the macula.

Dr. Rick :

In any event I think you should have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist in the near future. If your symptoms are, indeed, due to problems with your retina, the quicker you get diagnosed and start any necessary treatment, the better.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, as a retina specialist I am always quick to think it could be a retina problem...... :)

Customer:

Okay, thanks for your help!