Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Dear Sir, My father, age 76 yrs, have been detected with epi-retinal

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
My father, age 76 yrs, have been detected with epi-retinal membrane ( ERM) in left eye upon an OCT having been done. His vision is 6/12 in Left Eye. Cataract has also started forming but at a very preliminary stage. AT WHICH STAGE is surgery recommended for ERM? Can ERM surgery be avoided by alternatives ?
Thanking you
Regards
D. Lahiri, Kolkata
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Thanks Dr. Rick. My father, age 76 yrs, have been detected with epi-retinal membrane ( ERM) in left eye upon an OCT having been done. His vision is 6/12 in Left Eye. Cataract has also started forming but at a very preliminary stage. AT WHICH STAGE is surgery recommended for ERM? Can ERM surgery be avoided by alternatives ?

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure

Dr. Rick :

ERM surgery can not be avoided by other means...no diet, exercise etc can change or impact this condition.

Customer:

with a vision of 6/12, is ERM surgery needed to be done immediately , or, can it wait until the vision further deteriorates ?

Dr. Rick :

I do not recommend surgery for this condition until the vision has dropped to the 20/40 level, which is the same as 6/12. Using this criteria, all other things being equal, your father would be a candidate for this surgery.

Customer:

do the post-opertaive complications of surgery outweigh the inconvenience of the 6/12 vision ?

Dr. Rick :

It can wait until the vision has declined to the point that it is bothering him. Will this make the surgery more difficult to perform, the risks of the surgery greater or the final visual acuity worse? That is hard to tell. It depends upon the anatomical issues found during the actual surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I do this surgery fairly often and, if a patient with 20/40 vision due to the ERM wanted to wait I would be ok with that.

Dr. Rick :

At the 6/12 level of decreased vision, due to the ERM and not other issues of course, the benefits of the surgery outweight the risks in most patients.

Customer:

Dr. Rick, as i am based in Kolkata, India, for the sake of my knowledge, I would like to know the name of some highly renowned retina centres ( on global perspective ) and also those in India ....... any idea ?

Dr. Rick :

Any retina specialist would be able to do this type of surgery for you. This is what we all do. There is no need to travel the world to find the "best surgeon".

Customer:

How long does it usually take to recover from ERM surgery ?

Dr. Rick :

That being said, Wills Eye Hospital, in Philadelpia, PA, Mayo Clinic in Rochester Mn and Bascom Palmer Eye in Miami are among the best.

Dr. Rick :

I don't know anyone in India but any University teaching Ophthalmology centers would have excellent retina surgons.

Dr. Rick :

Moorfield's in London is also one of the best eye centers in the world. King Fahad (did I spell that correctly?) also has state of the art care.

Dr. Rick :

It depends if gas needs to be placed inside the eye. A few weeks, with improvements in vision continuing for up to 6 months

Customer:

Thank you so very much.

Customer:

It is a great pleasure to discuss with you. Thsnks for your time. I request you to pls give me your telephone number and email address, for my own record.

Dr. Rick :

I am unable to do that as that Just Answer has a policy against disclosure of personal information. I wish your father the best. It has been a pleasure to help you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Have a good day.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you need to take a look at the OCT plate, which i can send a scanned copy .

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I would be happy to. You can scan it and upload by following these directions:

Save your picture on your computer, someplace easy to find it such as your desktop.
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.
Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts" It is important to use this box. It is the forth one down from the top of the page.
Copy the link from inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.