Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

cataract surgery..day the vision in the eye is dramatically improved

I am having a strange complication from cataract surgery performed 5 days ago. During the day the vision in the eye is dramatically improved from before the surgery. However, when I wake up in the morning I am blind in the eye. I can see vague shapes; it is as though there is no lens in the eye. This gradually improves. Things -- all things -- get slowly sharper until a few hours after getting up the eye "sees" normally. Any possible causes? Could it be using a quinolone antibiotic pre and post operatively (I had a bad reaction to quinlones which was tendonitiis and a torn tendon about 4 years ago and until now had not taken any since.)
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

My question is why do I wake up blind in the operated eye from cataract surgery 5 days ago and the vision slowly corrects until about 2 hours after getting up it is normal again. It is as though my brain doesn't know there is a lens implant in my eye until it gets visual feedback.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely cause of your problem is corneal edema secondary to your surgery and an underlying issue with the endothelial cells.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of patients this resolved with time as your remaining endothelial cells (you never make more of these cells....) spread out and take over the pumping functions for the cells that were lost or damaged.

Dr. Rick :

Lowering the pressure inside your eye may help to decrease the corneal edema and that may be what your eye surgeon is attempting to do by having you use the glaucoma drop.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I do not believe it is due to the antibiotic you are using.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest