Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my eyes have been bothering me a lot lately, especially the

my eyes have been bothering me a lot lately, especially the left one. i wear contacts and if i keep them in too long my eye starts to burn a little and feel irritated and get a little red.. even if i do not wear my contacts they still don't feel right. and today i went to take my contact out of my left eye and it hurt a little when i went to pinch the contact to take it out... my eye dr told me it was most likely dry eye and gave me eye drops , and then i went again and he said i had an allergy to my contact solution but even after switching the problem has not gone away...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I agree with your eye doc. You most likely have some dry eyes.

Dr. Rick :

You might also have some allergies to your solutions or something else. In addition, I bet you have blepharitis. All of these things can be working together to cause your contact lens difficulties. The good news? There is a simple home treatment you can do that should help.

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

In addition I would change contact lens solutions. I like Alcon Opti-Free.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

i was using opti-free and thats the stuff he said was bad so he switched me over to complete

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Complete is a very good product....

Dr. Rick :

Ciba Vision Clear Care is also good.. It is a hydrogen peroxide system. In any event, try the lid scrubs. I bet you will start feeling better pretty soon.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

what lid scrubs?

Dr. Rick :

With the baby shampoo as I discussed above....

Customer:

okay. ill try that.

Dr. Rick :

Sounds good.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer:

nope thank you!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day. :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest