Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

6 different eye exams all the same perscription but everytime

6 different eye exams all the same perscription but everytime i get glasses made, they never work
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Have you tried single vision glasses to see if that resolved the problem and, at least, gives you good distance vision? This might help to narrow things down a bit.

Customer:

yes i have the over the counter cheaters a from walmart work fine. but i need bifocals. actually trifocals. nothing on top midrange in the middle and up close on the bottom. but every pair i have had made , even the top part that suppoedly have no cript whatsoever make everything look like im looking through a fish bowl. doctors are telling me im nuts

Dr. Rick :

Since so many doctors.....I hope at least some of them are ophthalmologists......have had difficulties fitting you with lined or no line bifocals, it is possible that you have a phoria/tropia or an accommodation abnormality. The best person to diagnose these issues is a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Customer:

pediatric?

Dr. Rick :

I'd recommend bringing your glasses, your old glasses Rx and, if possible, your exam notes and making an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist. If they can't find anything then you, just might, be one of the very rare birds that can't wear bifocals.

Dr. Rick :

Yes. They are experts not only with kids but with adult eye balance isses.

Dr. Rick :

issues.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

im not doubting you. but why is the top part of the trifocals im wearing (supposedly no script) make everything look like im in a bubble. they say its just plane glass. yet everything far away is ok but within 20 to 30 feet its all blurry and i can only use the midrange lense when its within 10 feet?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing and that could mean a couple of things: 1. you are actually typing or, 2, the chat system has frozen up. I'll give it a few more minutes and if I've not seen anything from you I'll switch over to the Q&A system. That system works a lot like 'text messaging' but, unlike the chat system, it almost never freezes up. We can continue to work on your question there. :o)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i was still typing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hey doc i have to run out of town. please respond to question i just asked, i will read it when i get back in a cupla hours
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry about the chat system freezing up on us.....let's continue:

First of all, you understand that you (and I) have managed to live too long and have now become presbyopic. Near and, very soon, mid-range vision will never be as easy as it was 15 years ago.

That being said since you are having difficulties with plain glass uppers with only an add for near there may be a few things going on. As I stated above, you might have a phoria/tropia or accommodative dysfunction that can best be diagnosed by a pediatric eye specialist. You may also have latent hyperopia that is best diagnosed with a "wet" followed by a "dry" refraction -- any ophthalmologist can do these tests. The third option is that you are one of those folks who will never be able to tolerate bifocal/trifocal or progressive lenses and will be delegated to a lifetime of wearing single vision "cheaters" for all your near vision tasks.

I do not, as you other eye doc's so succinctly stated, believe you are nuts :o)

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Once again, I'm sorry for all the difficulties we had with the chat system today. Hopefully they will be able to extract the Gremlins from the system soon. Take care and best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks. i will look into it. you've been a big help. at least YOU gave me something to look into. and all the docs ive been to have been optomotrists. no ophthamologists.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure. I'm sure that an ophthalmologist will be able to figure something out :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last thing. all the display glasses i try on at the optomotrists have no script in them either. how come they dont bother me?. when i put them on to try different styles out i can see as clear as if im looking through a window.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Because those are just sheets of thin plastic. It is the same things as if the frames were empty.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest