Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eye lid surgery 11/2/11 to allow his eye lid to close..fourth day

My husband had eye lid surgery 11/2/11 to allow his eye lid to close. Post operative care requires moist cold compresses for three days followed by moist hot compresses on the fourth day. Instructions to make moist heat compresses was not included, but instructions for moist cold compress was. I tried the Kaiser web site for instructions and got weird answers, none were 'How to'. I called the nurse center for Kaiser and got the doctors number instead of instructions. I left a message with his Doctors nurse, but haven't received an answer.
My question is "How do I make a moist hot compress?"
I'm too stressed to figure it out on my own any further, the husband is not a nice patient.
Karen
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As a husband, and past patient myself, I can fully understand the "not being a nice patient" Us guys just don't do pain well.....

Customer:

Okay I'm listening

Customer:

that's putting it mildly

Dr. Rick :

To make a moist hot compress, take a clean wash cloth, soak it in hot tap water, wring it out so it doesn't drip all over your loving, wonderful, kind and caring (lol) husband and place it on the affected area. I

Dr. Rick :

If needed you can warm it gently in the microwave if the tap water is not warm enough.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes, simple is good

Customer:

He wanted me to buy a small hydroxilater

Customer:

thank you