Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How long before the blood in the vitreous dissapears completely.

How long before the blood in the vitreous dissapears completely. Its been four weeks and about 80% has left field of visio.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

The blood can take pretty long to absorb. I have seen cases where it takes over 2 months for the blood to settle down out of the visual field and absorb enough to stop being a bother.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick :

If the blood doesn't continue to absorb on it's own, or if it is extensive and non-clearing after 4 to 6 months it can be removed by surgery (vitrectomy) In select cases vitrectomy may be needed sooner.

Dr. Rick :

The timing of a vitrectomy to remove intraocular blood was studied as it applies to diabetic patients and it was found that these individuals did better if the blood was surgically removed prior to 6 months (early treatment group). I do not believe this study can be generalized and applied to patients such as yourself who have experienced a vitreous hemorrhage secondary to a retinal tear caused by traction.

Dr. Rick :

In my practice I tend not to rush to surgery in cases like yours.

Dr. Rick :

Since you have already noted an 80% improvement in your vitreous blood I do not believe you have anything to worry about at this time nor would think about surgery :)

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you

Dr. Rick :

?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.