Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

How long after a small retinal tear has been sucessfully repaired

Customer Question

How long after a small retinal tear has been sucessfully repaired using laser surgery should one continue to experience flashes in the region of the tear.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It is not unusual for you to experience flashes of light from continued vitreous traction even after having laser to repair a retinal tear. There is no "usual" time frame for the flashes to continue since every patient is different as to how long the vitreous takes to completely detach from the peripheral retina.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, while you continue to experience the flashes of light you are still at risk for a new hole to be torn in your retina. If you notice a large increase in your floaters, a "ton" more flashes of light (like a thunder storm) or a curtain coming across your vision from any direction, get in to see your ophthalmologist right away. Also, if you have any concerns I recommend you get in for an exam....better safe then sorry :)

Dr. Rick :

All of this being said, the majority of patients notice a marked decrease, if not a complete cessation, in their flashes of light within 6 to 8 weeks of the vitreous starting to detach. Keep in mind, however, that if yours last more or less then this it doesn't mean anything is "going wrong"

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I see you are online now and have read my post. I am also online right now. Is there anything else you would like to ask me or that you would like discussed in greater detail? Let me know....