Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi Since 1988 i have had Dry Eyes. I been using eye drops all

Hi Since 1988 i have had Dry Eyes. I been using eye drops all that time, and had the tear ducks closed. The tears ducks keep opening. Why do the tear ducks keep openimg. Again i am on the waiting list to have the tear ducks close .
I do not like the injection above and below the eyes to numb the area. Can the Doctor spray something on the skin above and below the eyes to numb this area before they use the injections so it dose not hurt.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am sorry to hear that your tear ducts keep on opening up after being surgically closed......this is very, very uncommon. As far as spraying something on your skin to numb it some prior to numbing the area with the lidocaine injection this is, as you can understand, difficult to do since the freezing spray would invariably get into your eye.....which is not a good thing....

Dr. Rick :

However, that being said, there are a couple of things your ophthalmologist may be able to do to decrease the discomfort and pain of the injection. If she has a cryoprobe (used to seal retinal holes and tears) that can be safely used to freeze the area....as a matter of fact, it should be able to freeze the area so well that an injection of lidocaine may not even be necessary to work on closing the punta again.

Dr. Rick :

If she doesn't have access to a cryoprobe the stinging and pain of the lidocaine injection can be greatly reduced by mixing the 2% lidocaine with some sodium bicarbinate (solution for injection). This changes the pH of the lidocaine and does an excellent job of making it hurt less.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that, this time, your puncta stay closed :)