Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have had cross eyes since birth. It is partially corrected

I have had cross eyes since birth. It is partially corrected by eye exercises. I have been told it is too late to help surgically and iI could risk over-correction. That was a while ago since I was told that. Has there been any new developments so it can get corrected? Can it be surgically corrected partially so I don't risk overcorrection?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

There is still no way to surgically do a partial correction for crossed eyes....sorry about that :(

Dr. Rick :

Over correction doesn't occur on every case for crossed eyes, but it is a risk in every procedure. Of course, if there is over (or under) correction, a second surgery can be done to correct this issue. Usually a second surgery gets it "right" but not always. Also, if you don't have very good vision in your "weak" eye, you have a very high chance of your eyes crossing again, even if the surgery was successful.

Dr. Rick :

Sorry that I can't tell you that a new miracle surgery has been developed since the last time you checked but, hey, you never know......

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is surgery not recommended for me. I am 64 now. Would it be worth it? I can see ok in the weak eye.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
64 is not too "old" to have eye muscle surgery as long as your health is good enough for the anesthesia. That being said, after six decades of putting up with your eyes the way they are I'm not sure if going through the surgery would be worth it. That being said, you would, of course, be the best judge of that....

The surgery will not improve your vision, only how your eyes cosmetically appear. You still wouldn't be able to see the 3D part of 3D movies ;)