Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Back..his BB gun near my face, bounced off my glasses..my eye..chin

Back in 1974, a friend accidently fired his BB gun near my face, bounced off my glasses, sprayed prescription glass in my eye, went to an eye surgeon: John C. Barnacle. For weeks I went in to have my eye cared for while picking out the splinters in the split light, with chin rest..anyway I was working at At&t in 1984 ,had an lens implant surgury preformed. Here it is November 1st and I'm having a problem with my right eye. It started with a dark shadow on the right side of my sight, NOW it is covering almost half my vision in my right eye...it's like a fluid or blood in my pupil and I'm afraid if I don't go in to take care of it, I'm going to have a serious problem. I left Colorado in 2001 of lay off, came back month and half ago, I don't have a job just yet but soon I will, I'm applying for insurance tomorrow with MCPN in Arvada,CO What is going on with my eye? Is it an Octular Emergency????

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hi nice to meet you

Dr. Rick :

Hi. When did this shadow start?

Customer:

this is strange to me but the fluid that is in my eye is covering half my vision, it started a week ago

Customer:

eye meaning my pupil...

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed any flashes of light or black dots floating around in your vision?

Customer:

when I close my eyes I see a ring of light

Customer:

yes, I do see black floating dots

Dr. Rick :

Ok. How about light that is like a flash bulb or a bolt of lightning....just lasts an instant....

Customer:

when I close my eye I do see what you described

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, the most likely cause of your symptoms is a retinal detachment in progress. This is normally an ocular emergency but, since yours has been going on for a week already and has, most likely, involved your macula (the center part of your vision) by now it will be OK to wait until tomorrow to have it checked out.

Dr. Rick :

But by tomorrow I mean first thing tomorrow. By an ophthalmologist....not an optometrist. Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

A visit to the ER, without the ability to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, is of no value. Regular ER doc's don't have the equipment or training to deal with this issue.

Customer:

Yes, I have to go in tomorrow to file for insurance but I will have a specialist have a look at it

Dr. Rick :

Good plan. Do not delay. Untreated there is a 100% chance of total, lights-out blindness.

Dr. Rick :

In that eye only, of course.

Customer:

Under standable...I will do it

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. You can post to this thread or ask for me at the main screen at no additional charge.