Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I wear 54 years old with no health problems.

I wear 54 years old with no health problems. Today I began wearing new contacts which are the ones you can leave in for 30 days. My left eye field of vision changed after lunch...I now see millions of black dots and it looks like a big it has a changed only in the left eye. What could it be

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

have you noticed any flashes of light? Other then the black dots, is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

We have been having problems with the chat system today so let me know if you are having problems seeing my posts....

Dr. Rick :

We have been having problems with our chat system today. I have not been able to see anything you may be typing. If I can't read your posts soon I will switch to the Q&A system and we can continue there....

This slower then chat, but it never messes up. Sorry about the technical issues today.

Let me repeat my questions:

Also, do you have any medical problems, take any medicines or have you had any recent trauma?
It seems that you have gone offline. Let me address your issue and if you have further questions after you read my post you can ask me when you come back.

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

In your case, I am concerned about your statement that you suddenly noticed "millions of black dots" and now you are seeing a "film" in your visual field.

I am concerned that you may have bleed inside your eye (the black dots) and that you may be in the process of having your retina detach (the film you are seeing)

This is an ocular emergency and requires an examination by an ophthalmologist ASAP. A visit to the ER will be of very little value unless they have an eye surgeon on call who can meet you at the ER or at her nearby office. I'd call the ER about this availability of a ophthalmologist before going in.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

If you have a moment, drop me a note and let me know how things turn out. I'm sorry about the technical problems with the chat system this evening.....
Do you have any other questions for me? I'm here....
Ok....if you have had a bleed inside your eye before and are sure you don't have a detaching retina, waiting until the 4th should be ok.

If not, take it easy tonight and call your ophthalmologist first thing in the morning, Ok? Ok. :)