Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

HI, I have high myopia, -18 3 months ago in my left eye I

HI, I have high myopia, -18
3 months ago in my left eye I started seeing lines curved. FIrst it was apparent when I was reading only, then extended extended to shapes that appeared deformed.
IN the last month I have experienced 2 lines in my vision like cloudy spots.Initially thin and opaque then gradually became thicker and translucent with a yellowish tint

I have done around 10 OCTs, 4-5 fluoro(something).

I have staphylomas in both eyes for ages, but what is new or now I was told is that an epiretinal membrane is forming and I have partial detachement of the vitreous gel.

NO CNV or anything else. 3 doctors have seen me and all told me that the latest symptoms (Of the cloudy lines) are all vitreous gel related , not to worry about.

I visit doctors every 2 weeks, I am completely devastated as I have 10/10 vision (corrected) in my good eye and only 4/10 on the other.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

i guess you have read my issue

Dr. Rick :

Just reading it now......I was also dealing with my nurse who stuck her head into my office :)

Customer:

how concerned should I be I my doctors say that these symptoms are common in people with that high myopia

Customer:

I am afraid of going blind

Customer:

the good thing is that my vision in my good eye remains 10/10 despite the problems

Dr. Rick :

Well, as a retina specialist I see a lot of epiretinal membranes. I also treat many high myopes as yourself for the many problems that can arise from having such long eyes.

Customer:

Initially I was afraid that I have makular degeneration but the problems are in the peripheral visin mainly (apart from the lines when I read, that now I somehow ignore and is not a big issue anymore)

Dr. Rick :

Have you seen a retina specialist?

Customer:

My doctors have also said that tha epiretinal membrane is pushing the eye gel and this is where the distorted shapes come from

Customer:

yes I have

Dr. Rick :

yes. The epiretinal membrane (ERM) "crinkles" your macula (the center of your retina) and causes the distortion. The angiogram, as well as the OCT test can show the extent of the ERM and the macular pucker.

Customer:

The thing is that my symptoms are similar to those with a makular degeneration and CNV leaking, but I do not have any

Customer:

The angiogram and OCT seem clear in terms of macular pucker

Dr. Rick :

CNV is common in high myopes such as yourself. The good news? If you have CNV it would have showed up on the testing you have had.

Customer:

The ERM is developing now in the left eye, in the right I must have had it for ages, however my doctors have never gone into details, describing all internal issues as degenerations that I had since I was a KID but never caused me any issues

Customer:

THis is what I have been told about CNV also, I do the tests every mont now but there is no change, seem clear

Dr. Rick :

That is a very good thing

Customer:

Could the lines (translucent/cloudy) be attributed to the vitreous gel that has been partially detached and stucked somewhere? they really look like large floaters but not moving ones - floaters have also increased during this last period of the big type

Customer:

This is teh only explanation that my doctors have given to my symptom although undocumeneted

Dr. Rick :

They could be, or the lines could be from traction, wrinkling of your retina. It is very good that you are making sure that these issues are being closely watched.

Customer:

thay also expect a complete detachement of the vitreous gel that would also allevate my metamorphopsia symptoms

Dr. Rick :

One quick question: Are you comfortable with the quality of care you are currently getting from your ophthalmologist?

Customer:

IF they are from wrinkling of teh retina , this means they can go away or will be permanent?

Dr. Rick :

A compete vitreous detachment might solve your symptoms.....but in many cases the ERM is still present and continues to grow and cause problems. That is when a visit to the retina surgeon is needed.

Customer:

Yes i am comfortable , just now sure if there is something they have not seen....but 4 doctors have seen me and they all say that thisis not something that I should be that worried about....

Dr. Rick :

Either thing can happen...it can resolve, it can stay the same.....and it can get worse.

Customer:

needless to say that I am so worried that I take anxiety relaxing pills

Customer:

surgical operation can relieve it or there is nothing I can do?

Dr. Rick :

That is good. If 4 good eye MDs have had a crack at you, and none of them feel the need to do any invasive treatment or ship you off to a retina specialist, I would say you ar in good hands.

Customer:

MY work involves using computers 10 hours per day. I I lose central vision this would be teh end

Dr. Rick :

If it gets bad enough there are surgical treatments available. That is what I specialize in. However, as you know, there are risks to every operation....more in a patient who is a minus 18 myope.

Customer:

Is there any reason that has triggered these events? as both eyes are affected with my "bad" eye hhaving teh symptoms for years, however my brain uses only the good eye

Customer:

I see....

Customer:

I had my last OCT & angio 3 weeks ago.....In the meantime

Customer:

distortion has improved and gone worse again....

Customer:

usually happens when I sleep

Customer:

the foggy lines have expanded but become less opaque

Customer:

should I do a new series of exams or wait a couple of months as my doctor said?

Dr. Rick :

No. There is nothing that you did or didn't do that brought this on.

Dr. Rick :

If you notice a change do not wait...get in for an exam. If things seem about the same with no real net change in your vision, you should be OK to wait for your next appt.

Customer:

the distortion thing comes and goes, one week is good , the next is worse

Customer:

or my brain adapts and it does not bother me that much....

Customer:

any chances I return to normal again or semi normal or this is it for teh rest of my life?

Dr. Rick :

Yes, that makes sense. I would just advise you to err more on the "I'm gonna call my eye doc" then "Ohhh, I think I just wait a few more days since I want to go watch the Green Bay Packers win another game" frame of mind.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

yes it does , however they say that I should NOT worry that much and I am overreacting...

Dr. Rick :

I prefer that you overreact :)

Dr. Rick :

better safe then sorry.

Customer:

I agree with you

Dr. Rick :

But not to the point where it runs your life.....

Customer:

for the time being it runs my life....this is all I think of

Customer:

last questions;

Customer:

1. an y chances the whole thing will get better?

Dr. Rick :

I can fully understand what you are saying....but try to let some of the tension go...

Dr. Rick :

1. Not really..

Customer:

2. I do training at the gym ...not free weights , just the machines...

Customer:

is it dangerous as I would not stand abandoning even that

Dr. Rick :

2. What do you mean by dangerous?

Customer:

1. this is what i believed from day 1 as I already had the experience from my other eye

Customer:

2. could training at the gym make things worse? or speed up bad developments?

Dr. Rick :

2. Not at all. Feel free to work out at the gym, jog etc (well, maybe not boxing...) as much as you want.

Customer:

1. I can live with metamorphopsia but these lines are bothering me...at least if it went away...

Customer:

2. yes I know, no contact sports

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Stay out of the Mixed Martial Arts cage ;)

Dr. Rick :

It the lines continue to be a problem an examination by a retina specialist with an informed opinion wouldn't hurt anything...

Customer:

I started taking vitamin e and Ocuvit, I guess they are helping somehow

Customer:

Last question:

Dr. Rick :

There are no data to say they are of any value in your condition. That being said, they won't hurt anything either, so if you want to take them it should not be an issue.

Customer:

the symptoms that started 3 months ago are a result of the staphyloma (which I had for ages) the ERM , the gel detachement or a combination of all?

Customer:

I am taking the vitamins to help preventing makular degeneration

Dr. Rick :

If you smoke do not take the ocuvite. It can put you at a higher risk for cancer.

Customer:

i do not smoke

Dr. Rick :

Most likely the ERM and ge detachment.

Dr. Rick :

Me neither.......

Customer:

I see...

Customer:

thanks alot

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. I always enjoy helping my friends on the other side of the World.

Dr. Rick :

Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer:

bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.