Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

taking the Steroid drops (Prednisolone 1%) 3 times a day starting Sat

Customer Question

Question for Dr. Rick:

Background - I spoke to you last week about sudden sensitivity to light & glare. I have been taking the Steroid drops (Prednisolone 1%) 3 times a day starting Sat. afternoon (prescribed to take for two weeks). No noticeable improvement - although not sure how quickly any improvement would be expected.

Question: Having done research on my condition, this would appear to be Photophobia. Per your reference, I tried to get an appt. with Dr. Tu, however, his office indicated that he is a Cornea specialist and as such my condition would need to be diagnosed as cornea realted in order to see him (e.g. - she did want me to pursue if it was not something he could assist in). She suggested I meet with an Opthamaologist within their practice and get referred to the proper specialist.

Do you know of any centers / particular MDs that would specialize in the treatment of Photophobia? Would prefer someone in the Chicago area, but willing to travel for the best in this field. The glare is more than an annoyance at this point so would like to be able to get help from someone that has experience with this issue but having difficulty finding someone. Thank you -
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I've reviewed our prior conversation

Customer:

Dr. Rick -

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer:

btw - attached are two links that Ihave found that have information on Photophobia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photophobia http://www.causeof.org/sensitivity.htm

Dr. Rick :

General ophthalmologists can diagnose the vast majority of issues that cause photophobia. Really, any Board Certified general eye MD will do. They would then be able to refer to you a sub specialist (retina, cornea etc) if needed.

Dr. Rick :

Thanks for the link but after almost 20 years of practicing ophthalmology I think I could write those articles lol!

Dr. Rick :

I think our chat is acting up again........If I don't see something from you soon I'll switch to Q&A and we can continue there, even though it is slower. Right now my system just shows that you are bouncing in and out of the chat room.....I think it is stuck....

Customer:

Understand - just wanted to indicate what information I had found in terms of information specific to Photophobia. So, am I correct to understand that Specialists are defined by the specific structure of the eye on specializes in. So, cornea, rentina, etc. If that is how a Specialist is defined does it make sense that there is no Specialist for Photophobia since it does not appear to directly linked to a specific structure of the eye

Dr. Rick :

Ok...got that post....

Dr. Rick :

Yes and no. You are correct in that eye specialists are sometimes listed by the specific part of the eye they do: Retina, Cornea. But then there are ones that treat a type of disease: Glaucoma, Pediatric, Neuro-ophth..... Photophobia is a general symptom that is found in a wide range of conditions...hence no specialist.

Dr. Rick :

Drat. The chat just crashed. I'm switching to Q&A see you there...I hope :)

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm here...this will slower, but at least it will work. I'm sorry about the technical problems today...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Based on my research it listed out a wide range of possible causes of Light Sensitivity so I can see how this would be difficult to determine the cause. Given the wide range of possible causes I believe what you are saying is that finding the best Opthamalogist would be the way to go. I did not like the answer from one of my MDs which was essentially "nothing can be done". Would think there would be a systematic way to go through the list and eliminate possible causes to narrow in on options to treat. Anyway - was just thinking that there would be a center / MD that may specialize / have gotten results in treating this. So, would you suggest going to an Opthamaolgist in Dr. Tu's group or any other center that may offer best hope to treat this - thanks

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is correct. There is a systematic way to proceed though the examination and differential diagnosis process in order to come up with the cause(s) of your photophobia. I didn't like the "nothing can be done" approach either when you first mentioned it :)

I think you will do very well with any Ophthalmologist in Dr. Tu's group. There really should be no need to go anywhere else.

Let me know what the doc's find when you get a chance. Best of luck to you. And, I'm sorry about our technical glitches today.....
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay - thank you for your help
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
It's my pleasure. And thanks for hitting accept again....you really didn't have to do that :o)

I look forward to hearing what the doc's in Chicago find. Good luck and take care.