Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a 5 year old daughter who was diagnosed with intermittant

I have a 5 year old daughter who was diagnosed with intermittant esotropia. She has had this since she was about 2. Her vision is perfect. It is in both eyes. It is occasional but she is starting to notice it. Most times when she blinks or re-focuses it straightens out. Will she grow out of this? I'm not sure if it is a little worse or we are just more aware bc she notices. Current eye doctor said unless she gets worse do nothing. SHould I get a second opinion? What are treatments to correct this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

hello

Dr. Rick :

Hi.

Customer:

?

Dr. Rick :

As you most likely already know, intermittent esotropia is a form of strabismus (crossed or lazy eyes) that is usually controlled by your daughters ability to force fusion and maintain binocular vision. When she is stressed, tired, sick etc this ability breaks down and her eye cross.

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Has your daughter been examined by a pediatric ophthalmologist?

Customer:

no, peditrician sent us to one that is not specifically pedi. We have one pedi opthalmologist but he does not have a great bedside manner so im told

Dr. Rick :

The worry with crossed eyes in kids is that their inability to maintain good binocular vision will result in amblyopia. Ambylopia is a loss of vision due to the "turning off" by the brain of the signal from one eye so as to get rid of annoying double vision.

Customer:

they did do a test to make sure she was using both eyes on the last two appt and she was

Dr. Rick :

Well, as a father of 5 kids myself, I would make sure that you daughter is examined by a pediatric ophthalmologist. While many general ophthalmologists can do a good job (don't waste your time on a optometrist...) their office and staff are not really set up for the special examination requirements found in a 5 year old.

Dr. Rick :

Who did the tests?

Customer:

ophthalmologist Dr Streight

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Did you go to the appointment?

Customer:

What treatments would correct this

Customer:

Yes, she has been about 3-4 times

Customer:

He measured her eyes last time when he saw what was happening and it measured a 15 I think. That was the first appt that she actually did it while she was at appt for him to see

Dr. Rick :

Did Dr. Steight place drops in your daughter eyes, or perhaps give you atropine drops to put in before the appointment, and then use a funny "flashlight" (retinoscope) and wiggle it in front of her eyes while moving a strip, or other, lens in front of her eye?

Customer:

He did dialate (sp) her eyes on several occasions but not sure about test you referred to

Dr. Rick :

Ok. It is how a need for glasses is checked in children. It is an important step and I can't imagine any ophthalmologist not doing it.

Dr. Rick :

From what you are telling me, it sounds like she is in good hands with Dr. Streight. If you and your daughter are comfortable with him (?her), and Dr. streight continues to follow your daughter closely, I think everything will be ok.

Customer:

She looked into a machine at last visit that checked her vision. She focused on something and it told them her vision was good...been about 6 months ago so not remembering everything.

Dr. Rick :

Ya.....the machine is not that great, in my opinion, for kids.......but maybe he is using it as a supplement to vision/refraction testing he has already done.

Customer:

Will she most likely grow out of this? She has a half sister that has something similiar. mostly unnoticable but wondering if this conditions is inherited?

Dr. Rick :

You know, I am not sure how, or if, this condition runs in families. But she will, most likely, not grow out of it. It is very important, however, that her vision and findings are closely followed as long as she is in the "amblyopia risk" age group: Birth to about 8 years old.

Customer:

so it would not help to patch eye(s)

Dr. Rick :

If you have any doubts about her care I would, with a copy of her records in hand, have her seen by a pediatric ophthalmologist....even if you have to travel a bit to get away from the doc with the poor bedside manor.

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Rick :

Patching should only be done if there is a clear clinical indication for it....that being amblyopia. Patching does not treat the eye-crossing component of this condition.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.