Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

hi there, my bottom eyelid on my left eye feels a bit numb

Customer Question

hi there,
my bottom eyelid on my left eye feels a bit numb for some reason. i got an eye check and everything seems to be fine so i guess it must have been my eyelid. it happened since last week after a sunlight just shine through the side of my left eye.please advise. thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 2 years ago.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

thank you

Doctor DanB : Has there been any trauma to this eye or eyelid? Has there been any redness, pain, swelling or discharge from the eye or eyelid?
Customer:

no

Customer:

my eye is perfectly fine says the eye doctor

Doctor DanB : Have you noticed anything else strange or odd about this eye or eyelid besides the numbness?
Customer:

when i opened my left eye widely, i can feel the strain around my bottom eyelid

Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : Have you had any history of styes, or had any caking or mattering of your eyelashes upon waking?
Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : Is it numb anywhere else besides the lower eyelid only?
Customer:

i think it is only on the lower eyelid

Customer:

the lower eye bag

Customer:

it doesn't hurt or annoy me that much

Customer:

it's just quite uncomfortable

Doctor DanB : In light of everything you've told me, I have no reason to be suspicious for any certain disease or problem. I can't say exactly why your eyelid is numb although it is not an infrequent complaint of people to have areas of their skin numb for small periods of time.  
Customer:

as i was described it in my question, it only happened around a week ago

Customer:

when i can feel this bright sunlight just sting my left eye

Customer:

but i don't think there is any problem with my eye since i have checked my eye twice

Doctor DanB : It's possible that this could represent the early stages of an inflammation from allergies or from any skin infection for example. If the eyelid skin becomes swollen, red, tender or painful, were you developed fevers, then these could be symptoms of those problems.
Customer:

one with eye doctor and the other with optometrist

Customer:

i have no fevers

Customer:

is there any kind of eye drop that can relief it?

Customer:

should i go to a pharmacy and ask?

Doctor DanB : I would recommend using artificial tears 3 to 4 times per day in that eye. This can help soothe your inflammation in the eye and eyelid.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns about this that I haven't addressed?
Doctor DanB : If not, Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

is it ok to use that drop while im using other eye drops on the other eye?

Customer:

because im currently using combigan and xalatan eye drops for my other eye due to an increased in eye pressure because of a recent car accident

Customer:

however my left eye is normal

Doctor DanB : Yes, you can use artificial tears in either eye at any time. They will never interfere with any drop you're taking and are always good for the eyes.
Customer:

ok

Customer:

should i explain to the pharmacist about my condition or ask for the artifical tears straight away?

Doctor DanB : No need to explain. Just ask the pharmacist straightway.
Customer:

no for now

Customer:

so you don't think there is any serious problem with my eye/eyelid?

Doctor DanB : No. While the sensation is certainly a bit odd and even disconcerting, there isn't anything else you've described to me that makes me concerned. I think it will just be useful to wait and watch what this does; it may finally declare itself or just end up going away.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Customer:

yes thank you

Customer:

so what does the artificial tears do?

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter; this allows part of the funds that you have deposited to the website to be released for my efforts to assist you. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

ok i will accept it but if i have further question will i get charge for it?

Doctor DanB : The artificial tears help restore normal form and function to the surface of the eyelid and eye as well as wash out inflammatory mediators from the test film. No, if you have further questions about this after you hit ACCEPT them you can just come back to this thread and you won't be charged any more money.
Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

i might try that drop first and see how it goes

Doctor DanB : Okay. Good luck to you.
Customer:

so how many drops a day should use it?

Doctor DanB : 3-4x/day, one drop per application.
Customer:

okay thanks

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how can i contact you again?
Just by posting to this same thread.