Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My wife has severe Dry eyes---All drops have been tried ---we

My wife has severe Dry eyes---All drops have been tried ---we use "Lacrilube" 4 times daily and Bion Ters every hour!----We have heard of a treatment called autoglobous which we understand works--can you tell us more?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

What is this treatment called Autlogous Serum Eyedrops for severe Dry Eyes?

Dr. Rick :

this is a process where the patients own, fresh blood is used to make a drop to treat severe corneal problems caused by intractable dry eyes.

Customer:

Is there any problems associated with this treatment and does it work?

Dr. Rick :

this prep is superior to artificial drops, it is thought, because of natural enzymes and compounds in the serum that promote the health of the corneal epithelium

Dr. Rick :

Well, like everything in medicine, it doesn't work in everyone but in patients like your wife, where everything up to and including lateral tarsorrhaphy have not been completely effective drops made from autlogous serum have really helped.

Dr. Rick :

The nice thing about this is that the process of making the drops is relatively inexpensive, the drops can be stored for months in the freezer prior to use and there are no chemicals present that may irritate the eye. Sometimes these drops are used in conjunction with "moisture chambers" (basically small swim goggles).

Dr. Rick :

I would consul your wife to give it a try.....there are very few, if any, downsides and it just might help her a lot.

Customer:

We are down to last resort treatments and only 2 doctors in Adelaide apparently use this treatment---should we give it a go and will it do any damage to the eyes--and can you explain the moisture chamber method a bit more?---We have imported eye ware from 7 eye ware in USA and they help with the foam lining keeping in moisture and wind etc out!

Dr. Rick :

I would give it a try for sure. Talking about the moisture chambers I have used these in a few patients myself and after researching various products I found that everyday swim goggles, much like those worn by competitive athletes work the best. You have seen them -- two small "cups" that seal around each eye with a small band across the nose and head that holds them tightly to the face so that a waterproof seal is formed around the front of the eye. I've found that the inexpensive ones available at most sporting goods store work great

Dr. Rick :

Here is a great article on autologous serum eye drops from the time when this process was first discovered. As you can see these drops have been around for over 20 years and have helped thousands of patients like your wife.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Thankyou--will see how we go!--Have an appointment with Specialist in the above field in 3 weeks

Dr. Rick :

Great. I wish you and your wife the best of luck. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
It's two am here in Wisconsin. My dogs got me up to go outside when I noticed your question :)

I'm heading back to the sack, but before I do, is there anything else you would like to ask me about this treatment? I will standby for a few moments......If not, it has been a pleasure chatting with you this morning.