Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I am 64 years old & have recently been diagnosed with grade

I am 64 years old & have recently been diagnosed with grade 1 nuclear sclerotic cataracts....
Rather than change my specs yet again I am considering an autofocus light adjustable lens (LAL) implant which it seems is only available at the London Eye Clinic privately.
It is an expensive operation and quite new but sounds as though it could be truly wonderful but I would appreciate some independant endorsement (or not) for this proceedure.

I am concerned about possible side effects...dry eye, poor night vision & floaters particularly because my eyes are super sensitive & react badly to many eye drops.
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

We seem to be having problems with the chat system today. I switched to Q&A and we can continue to work on your question here.

Grade 1 is just the beginnings of a cataract. It may be decades until it is bad enough to really cause you any problems. Are you sure you want to rush ahead with surgery, with all it's attendant risks and benefits, when simple -- and safe -- glasses may give you years of excellent vision?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have been wearing specs since I was 10 years old....they are increasingly expensive to replace & it seems that this is an opportunity to deal with the problem once & for all.

The reason I am asking you is that you are independent of the only hospital offering this surgery & may have more information on the risk v benefits.

If I was in your shoes, and knowing that surgery can, and does, go wrong sometimes, I would consul you to stick with glasses for now. By the time you really need surgery perhaps there will be better intraocular lenses available or more (either positive or negative) will be known about the LAL.

When it comes to your eyes it is not always best to be on the "cutting edge" of technology.....