Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I was using the computor this morning and as I was reading,

I was using the computor this morning and as I was reading, the trailing words were blanking out and out to left hand side I saw a semi circle of sparkling and twinkling going on. What causes this and should i be worried?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It looks like the chat system is having problems so I've switched to this format.

How long did this episode last? Is everything back to normal now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just pressed the accept button by mistake. It lasted 10 minutes and all good now

Ok...don't worry; I won't go up in a puff of smoke just because you hit the accept button early :o)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The episode lasted 10 minutes and is ok now
Well. Good news. You are experiencing an ocular migraine -- it's not a brain tumor...

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon without the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects and, hopefully, this will continue to be your experience.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok. I have been having slight dizzy spells for the last 2 months as well. Is that part of i?
yes, speaking from years of personal experience as well as two decades of practice, I've experienced nausea, light sensitivity, dizziness, mood changes (per my wife...although I deny that I've ever deviated from my pleasant, baseline self :o) as well as dilation of one pupil only.

I think you will be OK. Of course if you are concerned a trip to your internal medicine doc should be able to rule out any serious pathology....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks very much.

my pleasure.