Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

need an eye dr please to chat with me about a possible herpes

Customer Question

need an eye dr please to chat with me about a possible herpes eye infection
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick :

Tell me a little about your current problems/symptoms. What makes you think that you might have herpes in your eye? Have you been examined by an optometrist? GP? Ophthalmologist?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your response so we can continue to work on your question.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry i am here. i am 22 years old-female. I had herpes encephalitis as a 6 month old baby--with possible meningitis. It cleared up, but the virus is said to always be in my system. At age 8 i had a herpes eye infection and was very weak. with eye drops and all-it finally cleared up. Then last march(march 2011) I had another herpes eye infection. I had just had a very stressful week with midterms and was on spring break. Went in for an eye exam on monday and was back in on wednesday with an eye infection. there was no pain but my eye was blood shot red. but thankfully i was on break to see my optometrist that i trust(family friend). Now yesterday my right eye was feeling "funny"(odd). and my thus my contact was not cooperating. so i took it out and wore glasses the rest of the day. today my eye burned and was a little achy and my contact still did not work out. Now my eye is not red yet but is in pain. dont know if this is herpes or not. i dont know if i should be worried about it or not. if i was home, i'd just go to the eye dr but i am in college and dont really have an eye dr to go to. the health center is not that good with care. what should i do?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Hi. I'm here too....let me read you post.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have other herpes virus breakouts
6 months-herpes encephalitis
8 years old-weakness and eye infection
18 years old-middle of the night seizures
21 years old--eye infection

*i also get cold sores during time of stress/lack of sleep...usually coincident together
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
well, you are correct....the health center (AKA: The Quack Shack in my day :) will not be of much help with your eye issue.

What type of pain are you having in your eye? Does it feel like something is in it? Is it light sensitive etc?

Do you feel like a cold sore is coming on now?

Also, do you take acyclovir daily as a suppressant?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry i am here--no i do not take any medicine. just took keppra after my seizure. my eye pain is an achy pain with some sensitivity to light also just a little bit of burning. my eye is now red in the very inner corner, which is how the last eye infection started. i was at home so going to the eye dr wasn't a problem. now i am in school when this time around
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
With your history it is possible that you are in the beginnings of another ocular herpes outbreak. This one sound like it is on the conjunctiva.

As you know, the sooner you get started on treating these things the better. That being said, your symptoms could be from other, less serious, eye infections/inflammation.

As difficult as it is to see an eye doc so far away from home I suggest you try to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist, not a local optometrist, tomorrow if at all possible. I would also stay out of your contacts until this thing gets sorted out.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Not all optometrists are as qualified as your friend and, given your history, I think it is best that you are evaluated by and Eye MD....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wait, was is the difference between the 2 doctors? at home i see an optometrist
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
There is a huge difference, but let me put it this way:

An Optometrist is to an Ophthalmologist as an Eagle Scout is to a Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps. They both are experts in their area however one of them has a lot more training, ability and experience.

An ophthalmologist is a full fledged MD who does surgery and has at least 12 years of training post HS; an optometrist does glasses and has some basic knowledge of eye diseases. They are not MDs and do not do surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
gotcha. thanks! i also have a headache that accompanies this ordeal
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Not sure if the headache is related to the eye issues.....but I hope you feel better soon.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

Take care and study hard ;)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks! i will wait until tomorrow. im sure the infection would get worse(eye would become more red) if it is indeed and infection and in that case i'd definitely see an eye dr. not for sure why it burns, but hopefully it will get better. i'll definitely update you
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

And I guess after posting 28 questions you know all about that pretty "accept" button and how much fun it can be to push lol!

G'night.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Now THAT's how to push a button :)

You are too kind....thanks.
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh yeah :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i'll keep you updated :)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so i woke up this morning. besides a little watering, my eye was fine. so i tried to put in 2 different tries of contacts in my right eye, properly cleaning my hands, and yet neither of them were working out. even though my eye was not red like the last infection, it felt like it was time to go to a dr(i have been wearing glasses for 4 days now) so i went to a local optomologist and with an exam said he found nothing wrong with my eye. which is good, but does not explain why i cant wear my contacts and why my eye ached and burned yesterday...
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the update. You are correct.....what happened yesterday is a mystery now. It very well may have been due to allergies....it is that time of year, 'ya know.

Too bad you didn't have your contacts with you at the doctor so she could have checked them out....maybe they will feel better tomorrow.

In any event, I am very glad to hear that you don't have any evidence of a new outbreak.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Have a great day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this evening my eye flared up. all bright red in the eye with the infection. going to the dr tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Darn!

I'm sorry to hear that. Let me know how things turn out :(
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I indeed have a herpes eye infection but am using eye drops and it is now under control.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that this has turned out to be a return of your herpes but I'm glad you got started on therapy right away. Viroptic, I suppose, eh?

Let me know how things work out.....