Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I HAVE A LARGE GRAY SHAPED M IN THE MIDDLE OF MY VISION FIELD

I HAVE A LARGE GRAY SHAPED "M" IN THE MIDDLE OF MY VISION FIELD FOR MY RIGHT EYE FOR 2 DAYS. I AM 41 YEARS OLD. DO I HAVE ANY CAUSE FOR CONCERN?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does is move around? Have you noticed any flashes of light?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

This is not an emergency however, as I stated above, you should have an exam by your ophthalmologist in the near future to make sure there are no retinal complications.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO, IT DOES NOT MOVE AROUND. NO FLASH OF LIGHT. IT JUST SITS IN THE MIDDLE OF MY VISION FIELD
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Is it in one eye only? Does it block your ability to read?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Try testing one eye at a time......to make sure that it is only in your right eye.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES, IT IS ONLY IN THE RIGHT EYE. IT DOES BLOCK MY ABILITY TO READ, BUT MY LEFT EYE TAKES OVER SO I CAN SEE TO READ.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Well, as you already figured out, your problem is not a PVD.

You are most likely having an issue with your retina, specifically a very important part of your retina called the macula. What is causing this? Only a complete, dilated examination by an ophthalmologist will tell.

Tomorrow morning, first thing, call an ophthalmologist and tell them you need to be seen. If they refuse to squeeze you into the schedule that morning, call another ophthalmologist until you do get evaluated. The sooner you find out what is causing this large M to block your vision the better it will be.

One other important thing. Do not panic. Ok? Ok.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

It is now safe for you to press the pretty accept button....Thanks. :)