Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have pain behind my right eye only when I look down and what

I have pain behind my right eye only when I look down and what seems to be a bubble of fluid in the corner. It is slightly swollen and red and this happened after I rubbed it because it felt gritty. What could it be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Where is this bubble? Is it something you can see in the mirror or is it a defect in your visual field?

Dr. Rick :

My system shows that you are in the chat room, however we have been having problems with chat lately. If I don't hear from you soon I'll switch to Q&A and we can continue there.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the problems with the chat system today. I am here and looking forward to your response so we can continue. Actually, you may not have been able to see my post so let me copy/past it here for you:

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Where is this bubble? Is it something you can see in the mirror or is it a defect in your visual field?
Dr. Rick : My system shows that you are in the chat room, however we have been having problems with chat lately. If I don't hear from you soon I'll switch to Q&A and we can continue there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The bubble is in the right corner of my right eye and can be seen in mirror. It is very faint and full of clear fluid. The pain that I have in my eye feels like its a muscle behind my eye and it only bothers me when I move my eye. It also seems to be watering more than normal
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That is called a conjunctival cyst. It is like a blister on your eye. Like a blister elsewhere it may "pop" on it's own or, if it doesn't go away it can be popped with a sterile needle (best done by your ophthalmologist :). This usually takes care of them but, once in a while, it has to be removed with very minor surgery in the ophthalmologists office.

What causes? 99% of the time we never know. It could be from small scratch that you didn't even notice or a gland getting plugged. In any event it is nothing to worry about.

If your eye is watering more then normal you might try soothing your eye with artificial tears as needed.

I know this sounds crazy but when your eyes are irritated they make more tears....this is the "something is in my eye" mode of tear production, not the "my eye feels fine and I'm making tears to keep things moist" mode. The use of natural tears will help your eye turn off the flood of "something in my eye" tears that comes from your eyes being dry.

Does this make sense?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But what about the pain behind my eye? That started first.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
The computer ate my response :( Let me retype it here....

That is a very good question. The cyst on your eye is not related to your pain. The most common cause of pain behind the eye is sinus issues or problems with teeth. Your entire eyeball is surrounded by sinus cavities and, as such, any irritation here is referred to the eye.

As much as I hate to blame it on sinus problems from allergies, it is that time of year.

The safest thing, of course, would be to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist to make sure everything is OK....but I bet the pain you are having will end up not being from the eye itself.

Does this make sense to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It would if it came on by itself but it didn't hurt until I rubbed it kind of hard and why is it swollen?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
By rubbing your eye it is very possible that you have caused a small scratch on your cornea. This would account for the watering, the swelling and the discomfort on eye movement. I apologize for not reading your initial post more carefully and noting that it got worse after you rubbed your eye.

The good news? This should clear up on its own in 24 hours or so. I'd suggest getting some lacrilube or refresh pm ointment (there are many brand names) and gooping up your eye. This will sooth it and help the scratch to heal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But the pain is not on the eye. It is behind it...like a muscle
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 2 years ago.
That really sounds more to me like a sinus issue....but the best way to be sure is to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist.

I'm sure that you can understand that with "chat" as my only diagnostic tool it is hard for me to do anything other then rely on almost two decades of practicing ophthalmology and using your history to come up with the most probable cause....I must admit it is a lot easier to do in my office with the patient sitting in front of my slit lamp :)
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest