Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

My eye suddenly has a nonpainful purple/black bruise on my

My eye suddenly has a nonpainful purple/black bruise on my right eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

For a 7 year old, you sure have an excellent command of the English language :) Would you, by any chance, be the parent of the afflicted 7 year old? I only ask since you need to be 18 years old to use the services of JustAnswer.....

I see that you are offline so I've switched to the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.
Oops! You accepted too early :)

Are you the adult caregiver of the affected 7 year old?

I'm still here and available to work on your question....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please answer existing question.......
I'm sorry, but I have to know that you are 18 or older. If you are not then I can help you to get a refund since you have already paid.

If you are 18 I can work on your question but it will help me to give you a more meaningful answer if I can get some more information from you about the history/finding of the bruise.

I await your reply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 70 years old and looked in the mirror and noticed that upper right eyelid had what looked like a rectangular purple/black bruise mark and no pain...looked like I smeared mascara on my eyelid. I am not 7 I am 70. Thanks for answering. Kathy

OK....sorry about that....just hadta know for sure. I, truly, thought your syntax was much, much better then the average 7 year old lol!

Well, as you have probably figured out yourself, this is a bruise. Sometimes this can be due to blood thinner use, clotting problems, diabetes or other medical problems. However, in the vast majority of cases, even when a workup is done, the cause of these random bruises on the eyelid is never found.

In my opinion everyone is entitled to one or two of these events where an eyelid is bruised and there are no other ocular symptoms. Using the "rule of thumb" I don't think you have to go to an ophthalmologist for this condition.

Of course, like a bruise elsewhere, it may spread and it will turn different colors. Perhaps you can make up a good story to tell your friends about how the other guy looks :)

Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, thank you for your sense of humor. Kathy
My pleasure. Have a good day....and stay from that accept've already paid me :)