Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

i had gromits when i was younger, same ear infected/blocked

Customer Question

i had gromits when i was younger, same ear infected/blocked? seems to be casing eye pain behind relative eye, when i look skew so that my eye is top right it dulls my vision from that eye
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure what you mean by Gromits.....

Dr. Rick :

Also when you say that the vision dulls in that eye when you look up and right do you mean that you can't see out of that eye? Can you tell me a little bit more about what you mean....

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
I am still here and looking forward to your response so that we can continue to work on your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
gromits, i had a midle ear infection when i was about 10, they opend up some part of my inner ear so that it could be cleared i guess, they looked like little sewing spindles, i can still see out of my eye when i look up left from right eye, it just dulls, less bright
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok.

I am concerned that when you look up and to the right you experience a change in your vision. This, as you know, is not normal, and makes me think that you may have something in your orbit that is compressing the vascular supply to your eye.

How long has this been going on? Other then the pain behind your eye do you have any other symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My system shows that you are offline again.

I believe it is important for you to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist ASAP. If the blood flow to your eye is being compromised the sooner the cause is found and treated the better.

Could your symptoms be caused by something less concerning? Yes, but there is no place better then eye care to apply the old saying "An eye visit in time saves nine"

I do not believe that your current condition is related to the history of tubes being placed in your ears as a child.

Does this make sense to you?

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)
I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the YES button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if there are there any other concerns or issues you would like to discuss on this topic.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Your back.

Do you have any other questions for me or is there anything you would like me to add to our discussion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what can i try to unblock my right ear?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hot compresses on your ear can help however, if you have another middle ear infection started -- which is very possible given your history -- you may need prescription antibiotics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have had a course of 20 prescription antibiotics over 2 weeks or so, it defintaly helped for a while however it is still a problem, is this possible to be a long term in fection that has reoccured, since ive had it on/off for over a year now?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Yes. That is very possible. But that doesn't mean it is time to give up.....just time to see and ENT doc.

Also, don't forget about the vision problems....I'm still worried about that. Looks like you are going to be spending some time in the specialists office over the next few days....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my right vision often becomes blurry, and needs me to blink sever times and or use eye drops to clear it up, does this point to anything else that i should be investigating, im guessing that its also related
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Ok...Now I feel better about the vision issue. This sounds more like a problem with your tear film. This, commonly, is caused by a number of conditions that all can be treated at the same time....things such as dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis. In someone your age I would think the last two are more significant then dryness of your eyes. Here is information about things you can do at home to improve this issue:

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition is daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
should i try a nasal irigation before i go to bed tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
You know, I don't think that will hurt but I feel that since this has been resistant to most treatments so far that it will help much either.

As a lowly ophthalmologist I must confess that my ENT knowledge is limited other then understanding that one of the eye muscles is attached very close to the nose :)

Would you like me to try and transfer your question to the ENT section of JustAnswer? Let me know.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Just to get off the topic a bit....what part of Australia do you hail from? I hope someday to see the Southern Cross with my own eyes while exploring the beautiful vistas your country has to offer.....
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure. I hope you feel better soon, mate. (I've always wanted to say that ;)