Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I woke up this morning with one eye swollen. There is no pink

Customer Question

I woke up this morning with one eye swollen. There is no pink inflammation in the eye lid; just the eyelid itself is swollen. No breathing problems either. I can feel pain and tightness when I open the eye. No fever, no headache, no sinus problems. Is this a sty. If so, what do I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Where is the swelling located? Is it on the eyelid? Is it tender to the touch? Is your eye swollen shut? Is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. We can use the Q&A system to 'text message' each other. An email will be sent to each of us every time something is posted to this thread.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I'm looking forward to your responses to my inquires so that we can continue to work on your question.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Hi. You accepted too soon :o)

Did you see my questions? Let's get to work on your question, shall we? I now owe you an excellent answer ;)
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
I see that you are online and have read my responses. To respond to me just type in the box and hit the send/reply button.

I'm still here and waiting to give you the answer you have already paid for.......
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you text me the answer?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
Oops! Now you have accepted again....

I'm sorry about all the difficulty you are having replying to me. I'm not sure what is going on as I am unable to see your screen.

Just try to type in the box and hit enter. If this still doesn't work try contacting customer service for help. If I don't hear from you soon I will also try to contact them on your behalf.

I look forward to hearing from you.

While we wait, let me give you some information on the most common cause of eye swelling and what you can do to treat it. I'm not sure if this applies in your case since we have had so much difficulty communicating, but perhaps it will fit the bill....

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

I am still here and hoping that we can clear up our communication issues....I'm sorry for the difficulty you are having.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
There! That worked!

I saw the note about texting. Now, just do the same thing again and tell me more about what is going on with your eye.

We can't use texting, like on a cell phone, with this system....but at least we are, finally, talking to each other :o)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You believe it is a sty and I need to clean eyelid with unscented baby shampoo. This sounds reasonable to me. Thank you for your help! Have a great day.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 5 years ago.
My pleasure.

And please forgive me for all the problems we had with the computer know how evil these computers can get when you try to make them work lol!

I hope you feel better soon.